R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tow vehicle
    Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 4:45pm
Brought home a new tow vehicle last evening. A bright red 2013 Dodge Durango Crew with factory tow package, Hemi V8, and heated (!) leather seats, more computing power than the laptop the last company I worked for gave me, and a bunch of bell and whistles.... Photos to follow once I hitch up the WD AS hitch and get it set. Just ordered a prodigy brake controller (just plugs in(!).   Looking forward to easy hill climbing and trailer control in traffic.
Still have the 04 Dakota. It becomes the home center runabout!

Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:04pm
Wow!  Congrats!

I have long since suppressed my new car jones, (can't even afford the "off-the-lot" depreciation), but I still
remember the thrill of sitting in the drivers seat reading the manual from the glove box!  (For whatever
that was worth!)

Best of luck with the new ride, and it sounds as if any towing worries are far behind.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 11:19pm
Excellent!  Needs lots of pics - and make sure you get away in that new TV/pod combo to decompress from all you've been doing lately.  So what drew you to the Dodge over the other brands/options?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 8:31am
We have been a Mopar family for a long time, Plymouths, Dodges, Chryslers. I really like the Dakota we've had for the last 9 years ( only 67,000 miles!), and the Durango will replace a Sebring of the same vintage that got rear ended a couple of weeks ago (my wife was driving, no injuries! All OK!) we weren't happy with the performance of the 3.7L V6 towing the pod. Going up to the Roundup in the fall, we were barely doing 30 mph up some of the grades. So the decision was made that the next vehicle would be one with a larger or more powerful engine. We figured to keep a sedan, and replace the truck, but the sedan went first, so we decided to keep the truck, since Chris will retire this spring and commuting miles will go to zero. It will also carry sheets of plywood, etc easily. We decided to get a larger SUV to be comfortable, and carry stuff too (someone keeps bringing the possibility of a large dog in the family, once she retires!). I checked out the Ford, Chevy-GMC, and imports. The Durango with the Hemi v8 actually has better mileage than other similar sized combinations. The standard AWD also was attractive in the Crew model. I looked at 1-2 year old models as well, but the prices were just as high as a new Durango. So coupled with the engine and tow package with 7200 lb tow capacity, the appearance and some of the internal convenience features, and price, the Dodge won out. It also helped that the color and styling caused someone to say "I want this vehicle!"
Will do photos once we get the hitch set up. I still have to get the lights upgraded.
Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 9:18pm
Very cool.  Will you be able to use the shank you got from me, or will you need a longer one?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 12:14pm
    You are going to love the Hemi.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 3:44pm
Have not gotten to that new hitch yet - want to wait till my hands don't stick to freezing steel!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
 Post Reply Post Reply