R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake Controller question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ReddOrion View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Controller question
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 at 3:11pm
To preface the question, I drive a 2005 Tahoe with auto adjusting air-ride suspension, the heavy offroad package with 410 rear, and the heavy tow package. We use this vehicle to tow around a few different trailers, the largest being a nearly 6,000lb jet boat (sadly the mpg on that rig is TONS better than with my new Pod Ouch). The large boat trailer has simple pressure brakes with the brake pressure coming directly from tongue pressure against the TV while braking.

That said, the RV dealer installed a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller on my truck when I picked up the 177 HRE. My question is this: Am I supposed to feel the trailer braking or should it be really smooth? I know that at low speeds it will feel clunky, and I already figured out that I have to disconnect the 7-pin harness from my truck while weaving the pod into the back yard. But the brakes just don't feel right while decelerating at driving speed.

I know there are two different setting wheels on the Voyager, I just wanted to know what my expectations should be before I start messing around with the brake settings. I have a hunch that the Level setting is set just a tad bit aggressively.  Any input (especially if you have the same brake controller that I have) would be most welcome.
Jason & Kim
2013 RP-177 HRE
2005 Tahoe LT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12