R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Charging - Event Date: 25 Dec 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Battery Charging
    Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 11:50am

When my hubby was alive he took care of all the tech stuff on our 5th wheel.  As I still love rving, I bought an rpod 173T.  So I am soloing for the first time!  I have more questions.

1.  Due the batterties charge as you drive?.Or only when plugged into hard power?
2.  I have a Honda 2000 gen and will use as a power source when in a dry camp.  Will this charge the batteries like hard power?
Thank you.  I have read through most of the topics and have learned alot.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 12:34pm
Welcome Alaska Lady! 

Batteries will charge as you drive provided your 7 pin wiring harness is wired correctly.  On some Trucks you need to plug in a relay under the hood.  Your RV dealer should be able to test that very easy.  Yes the Honda 2000 Gen will charge your batteries as you run it.  You will be able to use some of the electrical items running but will want to look at the hard start mod to do to the AC unit if you wish to use that.  Also the convection oven and ac can not be run at the same time.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask away
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2012 at 1:10pm
I'll add the microwave side of the oven and the electric element in the water heater to the list.  Even when you are plugged into shore power you can't run more than 2 of them at a time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
COcamper View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:56pm
Good evening Alaska Lady. If you don't want to pay someone to check your vehicle, you can do it yourself as long as you buy a cheap multimeter...~$15. I made this video for you, so you can learn to check it yourself.

Also, having a multimeter is a very good thing to have if you own a camper. You can check your battery voltage the same way. Set the multimeter to read direct current. Touch and hold the black lead to the negative battery terminal, and touch and hold the red lead to the positive terminal to check your battery. I hope this serves you well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ2TK3pdWIc
 Post Reply Post Reply