Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2013 177 Advice Before Purchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2013 177 Advice Before Purchase
    Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 7:23am
Hello everyone, my husband and I are here for the first time. We've been reading posts for two years and dreaming about an R-Pod. Due to the fact that we have a Labradoodle who loves to travel, we think the 177 is our best choice. The lowest price we've found is at an RV dealership in Ohio, anyone familiar? We have a 2013 Toyota Highlander which is rated to pull 5,000 lbs so we think we will be OK there. Now we have to get the SUV outfitted with a hitch. What else do you suggest we need to do to get ready? It's a 12 hour drive to Ohio, we're thinking about doing this in early January when the weather is cooperative as we'll have to drive thru the mountains to get there!
barefoot14 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 8:00am
I have one more question before we bite the bullet and buy an R-Pod. Why do folks choose an R-Pod over a more conventional looking lightweight travel trailer?
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 9:31am
For us, who have had both, and these are my thoughts.  It depends on what you both want out of camping.  We are just delighted to be in the outdoors communing with nature.  Most of our time is spent outside of the trailer and when either the weather or cooler evening temps drive us inside, we both bring lots of books to enjoy.  I do have to admit that we also travel with a laptop computer that has a USB adaptor to hook up to any cable outlets that the campground provides.  Primarily for the evening news.  We are hikers, and also enjoy the ranger programs that are provided at some of the state and national campgrounds.  Also exploring the interesting museums, points of interest, etc. are also what we look for when we go camping.  Fortunately for us, geographically, we don't have to deal with excessive humidity or mosquitos in the summer months.  I enjoy cooking also, so we have an assortment of cooking equipment that we bring along.  I have a lp gas grill that I hook up to our lp gas outside of the Pod.  Also an ancient 2 burner Coleman stove with stand for frying, etc. again, outside of the Pod.  The only use of the inside cooktop is for heating water for coffee, hot chocolate, etc.  We did also purchase the microwave which when we have a full hookup, most of the time, works very well.  That being said, the compactness, weight, cost, is what made us decide on a Pod.  Don't need no stinkin Corian counter tops, cooking island, or expansive bath facilities.  We do not use public bathrooms, as I prefer to stand in my own dirt, rather than someone elses.  Hope that give you some insight for making your decision easier.  We are senior campers, age wise, and with some mods that you probably have read about, make the Rpod downright wonderful to explore and enjoy with.  Although we have ours since June of this year, we have traveled over 6K miles over about 7 trips.  Other than a few very minor problems, that were taken care of very quickly, we are very satisfied.  As fuel costs will undoubtedly increase, the smaller trailer meets all of our needs, although we only get about 10 mpg, it is workable.  Hope that helps.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
wildflowerz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 9:51am
As soon as we saw the rPod we fell in love with it!  We had tented at the end of September and my husband was miserable.  It was difficult for him to maneuver in and out of the tent due to recent surgeries. The rPod had the queen bed, bathroom, kitchen, and table that we wanted.  With its light weight we could pull it with our Honda Odyssey. We purchased the 171 because we didn't want the slide. 

After reading many posts here we had a transmission cooler installed on our van by the Honda dealer and the Stoltzfus RV in Adamstown installed our weight distribution hitch, prodigy breaking system, and anti-sway bar. 

At the time, the rPod was perfect for us since we didn't have a bigger tow vehicle.  We purchased in October and have been out for two long weekends and one 12 day trip.  Now that we have done the big trip we have decided to get a bigger tow vehicle and trade in the rPod for something about 22-24 feet.  I have mixed feelings about giving up the rPod.  First, I love the design. It pulls like a dream, I often have to remind dh that we are pulling a trailer and to watch his speed.  When traveling we can pull into a grocery store and park easily in two spots.  We added a shelf in the back by the bed so there was plenty of room for clothing.  We travel with three big dogs and they all found their places either on the bed or in the rDome during the day.  Hitching and unhitching are fast and easy (once we learned the right way to do it).

Our biggest problem is the shower.  My husband can't maneuver in it.  I have found that sitting down to shower works well.  

We go to Colorado every summer and my husband wants something roomier for that trip since we will be gone for three weeks.  With my retirement around the corner we will be on the road a lot so space for us is key.  

We have one more trip planned for the pod and will trade up in April. Even though we are trading up rather quickly we don't regret purchasing the rPod for a minute.  Like any first love, we learned a lot and our 'Taj-maPod' will be in our hearts forever.

CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 10:14am

Greetings, Barefoot14, and welcome to the R-POD users forum. My wife and I are also new members of the forum and new owners of a 2013 RP-172. Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Honda Pilot which is similar, but slightly heavier, than your Highlander. So I will share some Newbie thoughts with you.

There are lots of ideas for the care, feeding, and modification of RPODS on this forum. If you have a question it’s probably been addressed here sometime. Browse and enjoy. I’ve used these new user forums on Ham radio, model railroading, and podding with great success. Lots of helpful people with lots of experience available. Just use your common sense.

A couple of points on the tow vehicle: Be sure your dealer properly sets up the electric brake controller and hitch. For the lighter weight tow vehicles I recommend a weight distribution hitch (WDH) and an anti-sway control bar. Mine is the E2 hitch which combines both functions. There is some disagreement as to whether these are really required, but I’d rather be absolutely safe than absolutely sorry. It adds greatly to my peace of mind and comfort. Also, keep your trailer properly loaded and your speed down. A recent post describes a potentially tragic accident with the same RPOD/Vehicle you are contemplating. Also, do not be misled by the 5000 tow rating. That is under ideal flat conditions at sea level with an empty tow vehicle. The tow capability of an engine/transmission combination decreases 2% for each 1000 feet of altitude. Climbing hills at altitude really is a factor. Since we plan lots of 8000-10,000 foot time and have a small tow vehicle, trailer weight was a prime consideration.

As for choosing the RPOD: it’s light; it’s small; it can go where many larger rigs can’t, the holding tanks are larger than many others, and it’s neat.

Happy podding.

Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
Capt. Irk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 12:50pm
I bought my RP176 in October this year. The first time I saw the Rpod, I thought it was "cute," but then I remembered that I don't do "cute." So it became "efficient." Light enough for my Jeep Liberty to tow, had all the amenities I was looking for, and yet compact. Being a single gal with a dog, I didn't need much and I certainly didn't want to deal with a "full-size" trailer. With starting to get too old to do tent camping, I wanted to be comfortable.

I've been on two small trips and learned a lot (and there's still a lot left to learn). Keep up with this forum - there is a ton of information and help here. 
2013 176HRE / 2017 Ram 1500
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 1:18pm
We fell in love with the Pods the first time we saw one, and just recently this fall made the leap to buy our 171.  We had been tenting it for many years prior to this, and we like being outside more than inside but wanted a better place to sleep and to hang out in during bad weather.  Being able to get up in the mornings, have some coffee and relax without going outside is fantastic, and the R-Dome for us works like an enclosed patio in that it expands the "living" area.

Definitely not a choice I would suggest to anyone that may want to just hang out in a camper all weekend or week long, as I see many others do in the campgrounds.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 2:26pm
Dar first saw the Pods on the Today show, and started to research them.  She was impressed with the small environmental footprint manufacturing the pod made (it is gold certified), and once we saw one in person there was no other camper for us.  My favorite encounter was with a campground neighbor who paked his mamoth trailer next to ours during the night.  He said he laughed at our little pod when he pulled in, then looked it up on the internet.  He said "your trailer has it all in a small package!"  That is what we like about it.  We have taken several two week long trips in it and had fun.  I don't see us going full time in a Pod, but for our trips it is perfect.

Make sure you get a good quality hitch installed by someone who knows what they are doing.  Get a good brake controller (mine is a Ford installed at the deaer, but there are good aftermarket options), and with your TV I would recommend sway protection.  Others can give you information on brands.

I hope you have as much fun with your pod as we are having with ours.  The only regret for us is that it is sitting in the snow, and will not be used now until spring.  We can hardly wait!
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 7:45pm
Hello and welcome!

As a first time camper buyer...I chose the R-Pod after camping with many groups if friends who all own pop-ups.  After watching them load, unload, setup, drive two vehicles to bring everything along as you can't store anything in a pop-up...I knew I didn't want a pop-up.  I load my Pod up for the season.  When we want to camp, we load up food, cooler, clothes and go!

I like the fact that I am 6'4" and can stand up inside without hitting my head.  Plenty of room in yet a small package.  Has all you need to survive even if you want to dry camp.

Fiberglass!  Nice clean look, easy to maintain,light and looks good.  How many times do you see those ugly black streaks on the alminum models that fade too?  Yuck!

Independent suspension and light weight.  Easy to tow, backup and handle.  Not too long and not too heavy.

My 182g outdoor garage and kitchen area.  I want to be outside when I camp.  Love my garage area kitchen.  Outdoors, yet great ammenities.  

Quality...I like the quality.  All campers tend to have quirks and QC concerns....but overall very happy with my Pod.

Get the axle risers...just trust me...do it.  Also, get the extra 1-year add-on FR warranty for $99 from your dealer.

I could go on, but hope this helps.

Good luck.

X

barefoot14 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2012 at 7:50pm
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! Question: Looks like I will have to crawl over my husband to get out of bed to hit the "lew." Any advice on that? Also does anyone have advice on customizing the bed area...I have to have my water, eye drops etc close by all night long. I've read the posts on mattresses and realize it will not be comfortable so that will be a problem to solve too. Thanks for your help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>