R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarger Screen TV's in the R177

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larger Screen TV's in the R177
    Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 9:03am
Several of you have posted modifications in which larger screen flat panel tv's have been mounted on
swing arms attached to the side of the 177's little media cabinet.  One shows a removable bracket
installation which, I'm sure, aids in safe transport.

My question is-  given a non-removable bracket installation, have you 'imagineered' any security measure
to make the flat panel more secure during transit?

Secondarily, I know that the torque forces on the cabinet side exceed anything engineered by FR,
so have you beefed up the cabinet mounting in any way?  I'm thinking about some 'spiral' sheet rock
anchors in the ceiling material into which an L brace can be screwed, the other leg screwed into the cabinet
side.

We are fortunate to have several very imaginative mod-ers as Forum members.  Any insight is welcome.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 11:54am
I believe that any flat screen bracket needs to be anchored into the rib structure or solid 'wall' of the Pod, not just sheet rock anchors into the flimsy skin of the Pod! Go over a really bad pothole at highway speeds and you may find the TV ripped out and smashed on the floor. My FR RV had a large screen TV mounted on a shelf...after a rough drive through Wyoming, my spouse looked back and saw the TV wobbling and slowly pulling out its anchors. If it had been anchored similarly on a vertical wall or ceiling I am sure that it would have come crashing down and pulling out a piece of the RV with it!
TIDALWAVE
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2012 at 1:05pm
Thanks for your input, but you mis-read my post.  The mounting bracket is well and firmly lagged into
the carcase of the entertainment cabinet, which I intend to reinforce where it is mounted to the ceiling
of the 'Pod.

I believe I have a valid method to secure the flat screen during transit, and I will share that solution if
it proves out.  I am, however, open to any suggestions prior to proceeding.

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 1:54pm
Several of you have posted modifications in which larger screen flat panel tv's have been mounted on
swing arms attached to the side of the 177's little media cabinet.  One shows a removable bracket
installation which, I'm sure, aids in safe transport.
My question is-  given a non-removable bracket installation, have you 'imagineered' any security measure
to make the flat panel more secure during transit?
Secondarily, I know that the torque forces on the cabinet side exceed anything engineered by FR,
so have you beefed up the cabinet mounting in any way?  I'm thinking about some 'spiral' sheet rock
anchors in the ceiling material into which an L brace can be screwed, the other leg screwed into the cabinet
side.
We are fortunate to have several very imaginative mod-ers as Forum members.  Any insight is welcome.

==================================================

I found a low profile mount (2 piece) on the internet while searching on my specific flat panel TV. On piece is mounted directly on the front door (off-center toward the kitchen side of the camper) of the entertainment center and the other mounts direcly on the TV. Did the necessary wire splitting and added a power strip inside the entertainment center. TV just slides down over the mount on the entertainment center and is fully visible up front in the dinette area of the 177. One thing I did, just to be safe, was to reinforce the entertainment center mounts to the ceiling of the camper - - but those flat panel TV's really aren't that heavy. The one we have is 22-23" I think and is made by Haier.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply