R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-Pod "Visor" Awning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-Pod "Visor" Awning
    Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 10:35am
For those who are interested    ...I just measured the "stand off" (distance from the camper to the outer edge of the Visor. It is 5 feet. So    ...essentially, on a 177 model it covers pretty much front to back window and sticks out 5 feet from the camper.

Might not be for everyone     ...but we do a lot of 2-3 night camping close to home and wanted a simple light shade that would also block rain so that we could keep a few things outside the camper. I have owned add-on tentrooms before, and have the R-Dome now, but that is just too much for me to handle on short trips. That was what motivated me to work with PahaQue on the R-Pod version of the Visor. I contacted ThermaRest (Cascade Designs) and they told me to take a hike. PahaQue makes good tents/camping hear and the materials/workmanship are excellent.

'Slogger
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by techntrek

nascar, I can see this being more useful to protect the interior of the pod when it is raining, or for some extra shading on the pod when it is in full sun without hookups, than acting as a proper awning for people.  There have been many trips where we just wanted to put up the EZ-up and not the dome (or couldn't put up the dome due to the site configuration), and something like the visor would have helped during rain showers when coming in/out of the pod.  Not sure its worth over $200 to me, personally.

I hear ya.... different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I am glad to hear that there's something available that satisfies the requirements of some.  For me, based on the pictures alone, it does not offer enough coverage to warrant the time to put it up, not to mention the purchase price.  For those of you that will benefit from this product, I'm glad for you folks.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Originally posted by techntrek

nascar, I can see this being more useful to protect the interior of the pod when it is raining, or for some extra shading on the pod when it is in full sun without hookups, than acting as a proper awning for people.  There have been many trips where we just wanted to put up the EZ-up and not the dome (or couldn't put up the dome due to the site configuration), and something like the visor would have helped during rain showers when coming in/out of the pod.  Not sure its worth over $200 to me, personally.

I hear ya.... different strokes for different folks, I guess.  I am glad to hear that there's something available that satisfies the requirements of some.  For me, based on the pictures alone, it does not offer enough coverage to warrant the time to put it up, not to mention the purchase price.  For those of you that will benefit from this product, I'm glad for you folks.

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to a review.  Personally, I don't feel it offers enough coverage area to sit underneath in the rain and not get wet, but I'm pleased that your pleased with the product and wanted to say thanks for working with the manufacturer to have this created.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
RPodWeGo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 12:33am
'Slogger, do you think it will hold its shape in the wind? Does it seem fairly sturdy? I see on the website it has a lifetime warranty.
RPodWeGo
RPod 177
04 v8 Toyota 4Runner
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:17am
I think I'll be sticking with my dome with the sides rolled up and the door zipped up.  Not sure the wife and I could even set up the card table and play a game of Scrabble under just 5 foot.

It is a nice idea though, a quick and easy solution for those who don't like putting up the dome for sure!
And they do look pretty cool.

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 8:53am
I ordered a Visor right away. I tend to be a lone wanderer when I camp with the Pod. I also own the R-Dome...I have barely used it for two reasons. The first is the hassle to get it set up and take it down by myself, and secondly I typically camp in non-commercial campgrounds. Many of which barely have room for the width of the Pod much less room to extend out the Dome.
I like to have windows open...and the door. I looked into canopies and found that they required that the permanent canopy brackets had to extend out beyond the roof line. And they blocked the dome rail.
So the Visor will help keep gentle rain from coming through the door and windows and give me some sun protection.
If I plan to bring with a room full of furniture and set up for a week or two in one place...I can always bring the Dome.
Finally, I like the idea of a canopy that does not have aluminum poles. I have been in wind storms that came up quickly and would have either ripped up the dome or broken any rigid poles. With the dome up and foul weather threatening you need to be back at the Pod immediately to take it down. The visor could either stay up or a quick pull and the visor is ready to be safely put away.
TIDALWAVE
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by kymooses

I think I'll be sticking with my dome with the sides rolled up and the door zipped up.  Not sure the wife and I could even set up the card table and play a game of Scrabble under just 5 foot.

It is a nice idea though, a quick and easy solution for those who don't like putting up the dome for sure!
And they do look pretty cool.

===========================

Well, I didn't do any sophisticated wind testing. That said   ...we generally always have wind here in Wyoming. I would say that it will handle moderate winds. The good news is that it takes about a minute to take down if the winds do come up.

'Slogger

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

I ordered a Visor right away. I tend to be a lone wanderer when I camp with the Pod. I also own the R-Dome...I have barely used it for two reasons. The first is the hassle to get it set up and take it down by myself, and secondly I typically camp in non-commercial campgrounds. Many of which barely have room for the width of the Pod much less room to extend out the Dome.
I like to have windows open...and the door. I looked into canopies and found that they required that the permanent canopy brackets had to extend out beyond the roof line. And they blocked the dome rail.
So the Visor will help keep gentle rain from coming through the door and windows and give me some sun protection.
If I plan to bring with a room full of furniture and set up for a week or two in one place...I can always bring the Dome.
Finally, I like the idea of a canopy that does not have aluminum poles. I have been in wind storms that came up quickly and would have either ripped up the dome or broken any rigid poles. With the dome up and foul weather threatening you need to be back at the Pod immediately to take it down. The visor could either stay up or a quick pull and the visor is ready to be safely put away.

=======================================

I don't think you'll regret your decision    ...exactly for the reasons you stated. I feel the same way and that was why I went right ahead and ordered the T@B version of the VISOR when it was first announced. I feel very fortunate to have been able to work with PahaQue to develop one specifically for our R-Pods. We also have the R-Dome and it has never been out of the box. We had owned a T@B in the past and had the add-on tent room designed for that camper. It was very impractical for short term camping plus    ...even with the sides rolled up it was often like a sauna inside. The Visor is a nice compromise. Easy to set up/take down and provides enough shade to set up a chair or two outside of the Pod or to leave shoes and stuff outside without it getting wet if a rain shower develops.

I checked with PahaQue about making a version of the Visor that sticks out a little farther from the camper and they said that if there is enough demand they will consider it. The fabric used in the Visor comes in 5' widths so to make a wider version would require "sectioning" pieces together which would require a seam and seam taping.

'Slogger
The Pod Squad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 12:09pm
Good for you for taking this on.  All summer we kept wishing we had an awning for those one night set ups.  Especially when we had to open the door in the rain to let the dog in and out. 
I have a question for you about the trim colours.  I know you bought the yellow but did get a chance to see any of the other colours in person?  We're hoping that the green trim would be a close match to the green on the R-Pod decal... thoughts?

Tania

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by The Pod Squad

Good for you for taking this on.  All summer we kept wishing we had an awning for those one night set ups.  Especially when we had to open the door in the rain to let the dog in and out. 
I have a question for you about the trim colours.  I know you bought the yellow but did get a chance to see any of the other colours in person?  We're hoping that the green trim would be a close match to the green on the R-Pod decal... thoughts?

Tania

=============================

When I decided on yellow it was purely based on the colors displayed on the T@B/LittleGuy and PahaQue website. I have not seen any of the other colors in person. I took a good look at the colors on the POD and thought that the yellow would be a good accent for the striping on the camper. Just a thought    ...I'll bet the PahaQue people would send you a small swatch of the green fabric so that you could make a more informed choice. I found them excellent to work with.

'Slogger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>