R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFirst Night Out - What a Blast!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LarryK View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Night Out - What a Blast!
    Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 10:17pm
P & M,
We camp every year at Gillette Lake Forest Service campground in Stevens county.  Gillette is part of the Little Pend Oreille Chain of Lakes off of Highway 20, 11 miles southwest of Ione, WA.  This year we also camped at Lake Leo Forest Service campground, 5 miles west of Gillette.  Lake Leo is a nice quiet place, with bald eagles and other interesting birds. Gillette is more active, but a very nice place. 

This fall we camped at Steamboat Rock State Park on Banks lake.  It was beautiful mild weather and no wind for 4 days, if you can believe that.  My wife and I love to kayak.  The lake was like glass.

We probably will go out to central Washington again in the early spring, when there is still snow in the northern mountains.  We want to hike in Northrup Canyon, near Steamboat.

By the way my wife's brother and his wife live in Cannapolis, NC near Charlotte.  Sometime we want to fly down and visit.

Nice to hear from you.

2012 R Pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab
4.7 Liter V8
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by LarryK

I changed all of the lights to LED's.  No heat and they burn far less electricity.  We camp without hook ups most of the time, so conserving electricity is important to us. 

Yes, camping in the R POD sure beats the tent.  We tent camped for 20 years.  Now we have a comfortable bed, heat when we need it and a nice place to play board games during a rainstorm. We love the POD!
Hey there LarryK!  Another Spokanite!!  Both of us were born & raised there and we lived there until moves took us to Seattle and Charlotte for the past 16 years.  I know exactly what you mean by not having hook-ups at most of the campgrounds around there, having camped all over the NW area.  That was one of the biggest differences we found down here in the Carolinas ... most all of them have hook-ups it seems.

Whereabouts do you mostly go out to around there?
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Seanl

Originally posted by P&M

1 mile in I looked down to check the wireless brake controller, which is when I realized that it wasn't plugged into my 12v adaptor.  Crap.  Quickly pulled over, grabbed it out of the glovebox, and put it in ... all was good then.  Of all the things I could have forgotten the first time I get the Pod on my own ...

Good news is that the brakes on the wireless controllers still work without the head end unit plugged in. The Head end until just gives you independent control of the trailer brakes and feedback on the status of the controller on the trailer. 
I was hoping that was the case -- thanks for confirming it for me!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
LarryK View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:47pm
I changed all of the lights to LED's.  No heat and they burn far less electricity.  We camp without hook ups most of the time, so conserving electricity is important to us. 

Yes, camping in the R POD sure beats the tent.  We tent camped for 20 years.  Now we have a comfortable bed, heat when we need it and a nice place to play board games during a rainstorm. We love the POD!
2012 R Pod 177
2006 Toyota Tundra Access Cab
4.7 Liter V8
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 8:14am
Originally posted by P&M

1 mile in I looked down to check the wireless brake controller, which is when I realized that it wasn't plugged into my 12v adaptor.  Crap.  Quickly pulled over, grabbed it out of the glovebox, and put it in ... all was good then.  Of all the things I could have forgotten the first time I get the Pod on my own ...

Good news is that the brakes on the wireless controllers still work without the head end unit plugged in. The Head end until just gives you independent control of the trailer brakes and feedback on the status of the controller on the trailer. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 12:06am
  Glad that everything went smooth for you on the first trip out.  
    When mama's happy.......Everyone is happy.  Big smile    Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Racer|X| View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 7:28pm
Lights get real hot....replace with LED's...you'll love it.

Have fun!
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 6:54pm
P&M, sounds like a good time, Donna and I have kind of got to the point that after we back in, I work on the outside, she helps me level during the first part of the set up, then I go outside and she is inside, by the time I am done, about 10 or 15 minutes she has everything inside ship shape, vent open, windows cracked, I have the outside level, t.v. unhooked and moved away, electric on, water heater on 120vac, (she has already run the hot water to bleed any air from last trip) now if she could just learn how to scan the television for local channels we will be set. then she hollars at me, When are you going to get the grill out and start supper,
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by marwayne

Just tighten the two screwes on either side of the cooktop,if that dosen't do the trick, remove the top and tighten the screwes under the cover.
Thanks -- I tried the first and they were tight, so I'll try the second when we go back out this Friday.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 3:22pm
Just tighten the two screwes on either side of the cooktop,if that dosen't do the trick, remove the top and tighten the screwes under the cover.
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>