Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Cook'n With Gas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBiscuits on top of stove

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biscuits on top of stove
    Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 4:40pm
any tips on how to cook frozen biscuits, in a cast iron dutch oven, on top of burner of in Pod?
somewhere I had heard , but did not retain it. almost sizzled them in butter I think. Flame only goes down so far, maybe use what I use in house to spread flame, cast iron flat trivit thingie? any tips would sure be helpful... Not building a fire outside, know how to do that, not taking a coleman stove and little oven. Thanks!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 8:09am
Are you asking about skillet biscuits or actually baking biscuits in a dutch oven on the stove top?

For skillet biscuits:
1) preheat the skillet so that it's med-high hot (approx 400-F) 
2) grease the bottom with oil, lard or bacon grease.
3) Place biscuits in and cook until cooked a little more than halfway up the sides. Use cover if needed.
4) Regrease the pan, if needed when flipping the biscuits. (Make sure to let the grease come back up to temperature otherwise you'll get a soggy biscuit)
5) Add small knobs of butter between the biscuits near the end of the cooking process for flavour.

The reason I don't start cooking with butter is that that I find that the milk fat burns too quickly and gums up the skillet at the 400F temperature that the biscuits need to activate the rising of the dough. 

For dutch oven biscuits on the stove top, there's the dumpling way where it's cooked over a stew and there's trying to mimic an actual oven where you use a trivet inside the pot itself.  I'm not sure how the biscuits come out using the second method unless there is a lot of heat on the lid, which would involve putting hot rocks on the lid.

Perhaps Podsible_Dream could chime in? Chris is the queen of dutch oven cooking. 
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 1:29pm
thank you for ideas.  I will try several ways.... have to disarm the smoke alarm for sure!
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
 Post Reply Post Reply