Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jimgi3 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owners Questions
    Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:22am
Hello Podders! 
We've always been tent campers, but wanted to get a trailer for longer trips we hope to make after retirement. We live in beautiful Georgia, but want to go west and explore!

After doing months of research, I finally settled on an R Pod 177 for us! Then after looking on Craigslist for another month or more I found a 2010 close by and we went and bought it! We picked it up with my 2000 Chevy Astro with tow package. We found that it towed fine as long as there wasn't a big head wind and fairly flat, but the van shifted into 3rd gear in big wind and going up larger hills. I am now thinking my van will not be big enough to pull in the mountains....and my mileage was cut in half... I usually get 18-20 mpg.... Got 10 mpg towing.  So, I am wondering what you all pull your Pod with and what kind of mileage do you get towing.  I figure if I can get the same 10 mpg with a bigger engine towing, I might as well get a bigger towing vehicle! 

My other question is about putting risers on our Pod. Do you all think that's essential ? I know you can get 4" risers....is there such a thing as 2" risers? 

Thank You Everyone!
Jimgi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123