Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Wish List
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQueen mattress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Queen mattress
    Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:49pm
Wish the rear mattress would be of higher quality, will have used the pod for 2 weeks and already the mattress has valleys in it and we are not overweight!!!!!! will have to find a replacement that is better for the back, not sure what we will install,

any suggestions?Angry
Manon
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:15pm
You will get all kinds of advice.  Will share with you my experience.  Many have purchased memory foam and they are happy.  I find it does not breathe for me and I get very warm.  The day that we brought home our new 171 I had pre-purchased a European style pillow top mattress replacement from Camping World.  Was $329 delivered.  From the day we installed it, it has been a joy to sleep on.  I am of average height and weight.  It is heavy, so lifting up the bed to get to the storage area underneath is a bit tricky but certainly do able.  I did however, have the thin plywood board replaced with a thicker board and then had pneumatic lifters installed that make lifting it up very easy.  A little expensive mod, but worth it to me.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Iteach5th View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:09pm
I went to a local mattress store and picked up a pillow top full size mattress. A couple of inches narrower, but it's great to sleep on. Got a great price on a closeout
"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right"- Henry Ford

2011 RP-177
2009 Jeep Cherokee
1982 Coleman Redwood pup
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by curieuse

Wish the rear mattress would be of higher quality, will have used the pod for 2 weeks and already the mattress has valleys in it and we are not overweight!!!!!! will have to find a replacement that is better for the back, not sure what we will install,

any suggestions?Angry

We have a very early 2009 171 RPod and have watched Forest River Get away with putting the cheapest and most unusable mattress in the rpods since then.  With your camper still under warranty I would go back to the dealer and let them handle this defective mattress.  Do not take a no from them but be firm and ask for a replacement that will work with no out of pocket from you.  Also remind them that you have a 1 year warranty and you will keep coming back if it keeps failing.

On our 171 the first weekend we used the Camper we had a valley form from how you need to get in and out of the bed.  In talking to Forest River I also asked them how they installed the steel spring mattress and they told me the fold them in half and put them in that way (no wonder it failed so quickly)  Forest river did end up replacing ours with a futon mattress.  Has work very well since June of 2009.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 5:01pm
I will say this, my parents have been RVing for 40+ years. They have had at least (and flat wore out) 5 new rigs, from B van to Class A, including a very high end TT, and never once have they been happy with the stock mattress(s), or thought they were of any real quality.The Class C they have now, got a new mattress before it was slept in a second night.

We knew going in that was the way of the world, so the same day we picked up our pod, we ordered a new euro pillowtop from CW. BTW.. they come rolled up and you open them in the camper where you want them.. doesn't seem to hurt them a bit.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 5:16pm
Furpod - yes foam mattress can be rolled up or folded up in half.  The original mattress that was in ours was a steel frame around the outside with steel springs in the middle.  they bent the steel frame on the outside.  I have yet on any of my campers felt a need to replace them myself but everyone sleeps different and I could sleep on the park bench if needed since I'm always in the Dog House Anyways
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:08pm
Furpod, is that mattress not the best?  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Furpod, is that mattress not the best?  Safe Travels.

It is. We have sold a couple I would guess, after people see how nice it is... 
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Furpod - yes foam mattress can be rolled up or folded up in half.  The original mattress that was in ours was a steel frame around the outside with steel springs in the middle.  they bent the steel frame on the outside.  I have yet on any of my campers felt a need to replace them myself but everyone sleeps different and I could sleep on the park bench if needed since I'm always in the Dog House Anyways

I hate the doghouse..

But this mattress isn't foam. It's a steel interspring mattress, with a pillow top. How they roll it up and get it in the box, I don't have a clue, but I know it sure wouldn't go back in.. lol.

mattress
curieuse View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 8:21pm
Thank you very much, will do!
Manon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>