R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWater Pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump
    Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 10:24am
On our last three camping trips my water pump has been getting more and more sluggish. On our last trip this Thanksgiving weeked there was only enough water being pumped out to barely wash your hands, only a trickle of water. Even had to flush the toilet by pouring water down the bowl, boy it is funny to have to rough it again........LOL. When I got home I hooked up using the city water connection and there was lots of water at the tap so I know for sure there is no blockage.
Any suggestions would be appreciated before I have to have the pump replaced. We have a 2010 R177, have had no other issues in our three season of camping with it.
2010 R-Pod 177 / 2009 GMC Canyon 4X4

Gerald, Lydia and The Boys (2 Shelties)......Canuck Podders
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 3:13pm
I had a similar incident earlier this year with my pump on my 171.  The flow seemed to decrease and what came out looked like it was full of air.  Whitish instead of clear.  It turned out to be a connection to the pump on the inlet side was loose.  It never leaked but it did cause it to suck air and reduce flow.  I don't remember what the fitting is called but on the 171 it is attached directly to the inlet of the pump and it screws on.  Someone else on the forum had posted to check all fittings on the pump annually.  Sorry I can't be more specific but if it is loose that should be the problem.

Dave
Dave
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 3:18pm
Thanks Dave, anything is worth a try.

Now that we are finished for the season I can look at all the connections before putting it to bed for the winter.

HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 3:55pm
There's also a small strainer on the intake side of the pump that could be clogged.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Gerald

On our last three camping trips my water pump has been getting more and more sluggish....

My experience was the same (using on-board pump).  Little water, lots of air ...  I went under the sink near the pump several times and like magic ... it started working.  It seems I was bumping around but really didn't fix the problem.  But I FINALLY found my problem. It was a loose cap on the screen retainer of the filter feeding into the water pump.  It was NOT the input connection.  I removed the input line connection using the "swivel Barb fitting" and then unscrewed the strainer assembly from the pump.  With strainer/filter in-hand, I unscrewed the basket cap, cleaned some minor dirt/plastic pieces from basket, re-inserted the basket, and TIGHTENED the cap (only 2-3 threads) VERY WELL, then reversed process to reinstall.  Haven't had a problem since.

Note  that the image below is not quite the same as my filter. My basket retainer has a CLEAR plastic cap which retains basket.  It only has 2-3 threads so it's important to check it. I was planning on putting pipe tape on fitting into pump (next time) so the basket cap would be in UP position and easier to check - on my to-do list

Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
Gerald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by HuronSailor

There's also a small strainer on the intake side of the pump that could be clogged.
Thanks Huron Sailor and Bill and Bev for your suggestions. We now have a functioning water pump again. It sure is nice when a simple solution is found. Nice feeling when we put the POD to bed for the winter knowing that we will have water come spring...........

Have a great winter everyone.

Post Reply Post Reply