R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Picking our 177 up in 2 weeks, a daunting 1st trip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPicking our 177 up in 2 weeks, a daunting 1st trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picking our 177 up in 2 weeks, a daunting 1st trip
    Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:04pm
Sounds like a real adventure! Welcome to the podding world and happy trailering.
On the main highways, snow isn't as much a problem as wind, even down around I 10. Remember that going from TX to AZ thru NM you will cross the continental divide and there ain't nothin' between you and the North Pole but a couple of strands of barbed wire somewhere north of you! Then from LA to Sacramento you have to go over that pass -and some others- to get out of the Valley. Makes the PA pike from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh feel like a drive thru the Everglades!
Good luck and enjoy. We did a trip the other way from Phoenix to Worcester, MA with a six month old, one dog,one cat, and a 24 ft U-haul towing the car, experience of a lifetime!

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 9:34am
The R-Pod is home! I was really please with the installation of the hitch and brake controller done by the dealer. It definitely feels heavy going up the mountains, but overall it drives far better than I expected.

We're very excited to be new podders!

Here's a pic from the way home:

And here's our hitch setup if anyone's curious:

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 10:47am
Looks good!! You will have to keep us posted about the trip/move.

BTW, from Sacto, there is TONS of cold weather camping within an hour, or just a bit more, drive. I grew up there, as a member of a very camping/hunting oriented family. Last summer we were out there camping with my parents for the fourth of July, up in the sierras (south lake tahoe area), and we ran heaters every night, and the afternoon of the day we went back to my parents house, the campground got 6" of snow.

One of the neatest things about growing up there was.. you could surf, and snow ski, on the same day, year 'round, and never be more than 3 hours drive from home. Smile
thadd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 10:52am
Originally posted by furpod

Looks good!! You will have to keep us posted about the trip/move.

BTW, from Sacto, there is TONS of cold weather camping within an hour, or just a bit more, drive. I grew up there, as a member of a very camping/hunting oriented family. Last summer we were out there camping with my parents for the fourth of July, up in the sierras (south lake tahoe area), and we ran heaters every night, and the afternoon of the day we went back to my parents house, the campground got 6" of snow.

One of the neatest things about growing up there was.. you could surf, and snow ski, on the same day, year 'round, and never be more than 3 hours drive from home. Smile

We're really excited about it. Just looking at all of the places we can get in a half-day's drive is one of the things that pushed us over the edge on getting the R-Pod. We'd love any tips about your favorite places in that region.

Our first planned trip (after the cross-country trek of course) is down to Monterrey Bay. Our 8-month old loves aquariums and so we're going to take a long weekend down there in the pod to visit the aquarium and see the coast.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 11:13am
The aquarium there is great, I can spend a FULL day there no problem.. rest of the family can't. lol.

Few years ago, "we" did the Monterrey, San Fransisco, Seattle, and Vancouver aquariums all in a 8 day run, while on a cruise.

The best campground (I think, and it has been several years since we camped there) down at MB is "Marina Dunes". We really enjoyed camping there, and it was close to everything.

I know we have other NorCal members on here, and hopefully they will chime in about what all to do, but suffice it to say, we stay busy when we are out there. Just got back from a week out there two weeks ago.

As Thousand Trail's members, there are about 25-30 campgrounds in Cali to visit, so a lot of our camping out there, though not all, is centered around their facilities.

EDIT: my wife points out we really liked Pacific Dunes quite a bit too, but I am not sure about staying there if you are not a member.. some TT's do that, but not all.
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 7:41pm
Thadd, nice looking outfit, but of course we are all podders, hang on for some fun and lots of good times and great memories.   
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12