Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPod sighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pod sighting
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 10:27pm
On my way to work this morning I got SOOOO excited!  I saw my first 'pod in the wild' sighting.  It was an 'older' model...with the rings graphics. Heading northbound on Highway 321 in Lincoln county North Carolina around 8:15am.  I believe it was not NC plates.  Tow vehicle was silver/gray truck, I think Chevy with outer fender wells.

This excited and depressed me at the same time.  We have not taken our pod out since LAST November.  My 85 year old mother who lives with me cannot be left alone any more due to physical frailty and Alzheimers.  It's getting to the point I cannot care for her much longer and am in the process of finding the right place for her care.  I hate to do it, but it's what's best for her, and for us.

If you are the one I saw this morning, give me a hollar and let me know where you are from and where you were heading!

Happy podding to all.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 6:49am
Sorry to hear about your mother.  I went through the same thing.  It ain't easy.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:39pm
Yep, went through it with my aunt, and now with my mother, she still is in her home but really getting wobbly, Donna and I took her some home made soup and the last of the fresh veggies from the garden, tomato, radishes, carrots, yellow, green and red peppers, thats what the pod is good for, take off, walk, cook, laugh and no responsibilities for a day or two if you are lucky.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 8:13am
I know the Podder's you are talking about I believe ... they are the ones that introduced us to the Pod's a year & a half ago at a campground in Kings Mountain SP.  They live in the area somewhere near Hickory if my memory recall is working right.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:11pm
With you, Sherry. I Lost my father to Alzheimer's this summer. After two years of car in a really good nursing home. He was fortunate to have been adopted by one of the LPNs that arrived the same time he did. I hope your mother finds the same loving care he did!
Prayers with you and your mom...
Keep on poddin!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:40pm
Having been in that industry for a few years I know that most of the folks that work in nursing homes are truly good and caring people.  While sometimes things happen, they happen at home too.  Odds are great that your loved one will experience good care and love from the staff.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:55pm
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.....it's amazing how many people are in or have been in this same boat. And it's not a pleasant boat ride! Today was spent trying to get Mom approved for Medicaid Unhappy

P&M...I think I am the podders you are thinking about.  We were at KMSP at that time. Me (Sherrie), Carol and 3 doxies.  We met a nice couple (I cannot remember their names to save my life) but they had a dog with them and we gave them a tour of our pod.  When they came to visit our site, they brought treats for our dogs. Is this you?
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 9:04am
Why, yes ... it is us!  And you are the podders I am remembering!  You were the ones that got us hooked on the Pod and we have just been working on getting things lined up since then to buy one (picking ours up the end of next week).  Hopefully we'll see you out and about again soon.

And I am very sorry to hear about what has been going on with your mother.  Spent 2 years working through all of those issues myself a few years ago with my mom, and we are dealing with it remotely now with my wife's mom who still lives up in the NW.  Stay strong and know that you are making the right decisions for her and her welfare, even though many times it doesn't feel that way.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 11:40pm
I'm so happy you guys will finally be fellow podders.  I've thought about you guys occasionally since meeting you at the camp ground.  Where did you finally decide to purchase yours?  Is it one of the tan ones with black trim?

I'm really hoping next season will be better for us than this one.  Our little pod is so lonely!!!  Perhaps we can get together at KMSP next spring on the same weekend. 

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:04am
Took your advice on dealers and we are buying ours from Bumgarner RV up in Lenoir, where you bought yours as I recall and spoke so highly about them.  So far our dealings with them have been exceptional, and we'll see if they keep it up when we pick up our Pod (and yes, we will do a write-up on them when it is done).  We are getting the 171 instead of the 177 as we actually liked it a bit more, and being first-time owners not having to work with a slide-out was one less thing for us to worry about ... that and dropping a couple hundred pounds off the towing weight.

Yes, it is a 2012 tan with black trim model.  Interestingly enough a couple of the mod's that others have mentioned doing are already done on it, and I am not sure if Forest River has implemented those or the dealer did (i.e. separating out a storage area under the second dinette seat with a partition).  Definitely saves me the time in having to do some of them.

We'd love to hookup with you guys at KMSP next spring as our schedules will allow -- just shoot me a PM once things have settled down a bit for you and you know what yours is looking like come that timeframe.  We love that campground and park, and are actually headed there for our first "real" camping trip (after 2 shakedown overnighters) during Thanksgiving next month.

Take care!
P & M ... and Comet too!
2018 Ram 2500
 Post Reply Post Reply