R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwind tabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: wind tabs
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 12:18pm
MY SON WAS HAULING FREIGHT ON THE TURNPIKE IN PA,WAS IN A HARD RAIN,WHEN HE CAME UP ON A TRAVEL TRAILOR,HE NOTICED THAT THE SPRAY COMING UP WAS NOT ROLLING BUT STREIGHT BACK,WHEN THEY PULLED OF HE FOLLOWED,AND GOT A CHANCE TO TALK WITH THE DRIVER,WAS TOLD THAT HE HAD INSTALLED AIR TABS, BEFORE I ORDER,WHAT DO YOU MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM THINK? I VALUE WHAT YOU SAY,HE DIDNT GET INFO ON GAS SAVINGS,BUT GOT THIS ,WWW.AIR TABS .COM.I PULLED THIS UP,BUT WOULD LIKE FOR INFO FROM YOU.HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU,rex pHp stuart fla
jrr
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 3:35pm
I think the only thing they are likely to do is to lighten your wallet.  They are so small and out of the airstream.  I need to see some science to convince me.  If you get them please let us know how they affect your pod.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Paige View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 6:13pm
I was on that site yesterday. They showed a Casita with them,,,and it being curved, the air tabs were located down a line that included the window! I wrote to the airtab people to see if they knew if they would work on an RPod and where they would go...nothing yet from them. But after looking at the RPod,,not sure where they could be placed to make the expense worthwhile. Not really expecting them to improve on the mpg but on the swaying action.
Paige and Pete
2010 177 - RPug
2012 Rav (six cylinder)
New York & Florida residents
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 7:37pm
I and another member ran aerodynamic simulations on the Pod a couple of years ago.  The most important finding was the effect caused by the large gap between the tow vehicle and the Pod's front curved roof. The rear roof of the Pod was secondary in its drag. 
Spoilers made little difference in drag, because of the curved roof.
If the air tabs do work, you will have to glue them not only on the rear roof of the tow vehicle but also along the two rear sides.  Then air tabs glued to the Pod roof at the highest point, and along the rear sides.
The air tabs run about $8 (USD) for each foot of run (3 per ft).
If you do install the air tabs, please let the rest of the forum know your results. Don't forget
that head or tail winds will noticeably effect mpg.

TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply