Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canine Escape Artists
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 7:07pm
The "closing arguments" for purchasing the R-Pod were:

1.  Indoor  bath room  (such as it is, it's fine...)

2.  Air  conditioning  (It'll drive you out!), and, most importantly,

3.  We can bring the dogs!  (and they can roam around the R-Dome...)

Reference Item 3.  Once the 'Dome was constructed with the screen skirt in place, Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels were introduced to it.  They immediately began "testing the perimeter", (a "Jurassic Park" reference, for those of you who enjoyed that particular flick).  Baxter  escaped almost immediately, but Jennifer was not far behind.  Both were apprehended before they got very far.

I realized that unless I wanted to be the Warden every outing we needed to secure the skirts of the 'Dome to a better extent.

I have ordered a grommet tool set, and intend to install them at sufficient intervals to thwart the escapees.  FR includes a vast number of tent stakes in the 'Dome ditty bag, and I have about as many left from my tent camping days. I think I can pull this off, but I'll get back to you......

Bob and Joyce
Jennifer and Baxter, the Campin' Cocker Spaniels
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT / Z71
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 7:40pm
my male dog can open zippers. His Kennel has a zipper closure and he lets himself out all the time. I don't think I would trust the rdome to keep him in. Isn't it amazing what salespeople will say to close the deal. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
coopercdrkey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 7:54pm
Well, I guess so.....    But in this case the closing arguments were from my wife, who totally amazed me by falling in love with the R-Pod and the concept of RV-ing.

Dogs, left to themselves and unsupervised, are capable of rational thought, problem solving, and  sundry mayhem-  I realize that, and we never intend to leave them in the 'Dome alone.  I just intend to make it difficult enough for them that I can get a sip or two of beer in before I have to count noses.

Is NB New Brunswick?  My grand parents were from Nova Scotia.  I spent many a summer visit bored out of my mind as a youth, but would love to visit again now.
Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 9:08pm
Yes we are in Fredericton New Brunswick. My wife is from here but I came From Peterborough Ontario. A ciity 80 miles from Toronto. I cannot imagine growing up here although I love living here now.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 7:37am
We were thinking of using a few doggie-playpens strung together with the gate part at the door of the r-dome. However those things are $$ especially when u need 3 to fit all around the interior perimeter of the r-dome. Might use chicken wire instead and roll it up for transit.

ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 8:33am
Check thrift stores in your area.  Those frequently come in to thrift stores and sell for very little.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 8:00am
The grommet tool set arrived from Amazon, and step 1 was to install a grommet about every 18" along the bottom of the screen skirt.  It has a hem folded over and stitched, but I still reinforced each grommet site with a piece of duct tape folded over so it provided a front and back "sandwich" around the skirt hem.

Since the R-Dome itself had been cleaned, dried, re-folded and stashed in its carry bag, (What A Chore!!....but that's another post....), I will await our next outing to do likewise to the rain flaps.

To be continued....
Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 8:56am
I haven't grommeted the rain flaps yet, but I have found a set of pegs that I think will work well once I get to it, (next Tuesday is our scheduled overnighter).

Note that the steel peg goes through the plastic cap so you are not pounding on a breakable part.  The little "return" on the cap may get snipped off so that the peg is basically a "t-top" that will ride on the grommet and not stress the flap material.

Getting closer, I hope....
Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
Bill Ky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 1:39pm
On the subject of pet pens, on a recent visit to Lowe's I seen wire panels like those used on the pens for about $5 each.
Bill & Marilyn, Tinker Belle (Yorkie), Sparkle (Mini Dachshund) & Tootsie (the turtle) '12 RP175 '07 Dodge Ram 1500

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 2:11pm
I don't think I have the space to devote to storing the wire pen panels, but others on this forum agree with you, and have posted a picture of their dogs, (and a rabbit, if I recall), being restrained by wire panels.  It will work for sure.

The only real investment I will have in my "experiment" is the time and effort to install the grommets.  All the pieces/parts are quite cheap, and time wise, I think it's a wash- erecting panels vs. pounding a bunch of tent pegs.

If I am successful, and if I can figure out how to post pictures, (two very big "if's"), you will all be next to know!

Bob and Joyce
RP 177 "Key Pod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>