R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSelf-Adjusting Brakes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self-Adjusting Brakes?
    Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:12am
I did not want them altered, the dealer replaced the self adjusting brakes with new back plate, shoes and magnets, no charge.  I also replaced the knobby tires with smooth tread ones for better gas mileage.
ChuckB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:08pm
I was worried because my 2nd-hand 2014 RP-178 wouldn't lock up (skid) the trailer brakes at 20 MPH whenever I would try to adjust my integral GMC Sierra brake controller like the GMC book advised.
I think that a lot of the aftermarket controllers advise the same (skidding) procedure for adjusting the controller.

I suspected that the reason the RPOD wouldn't skid was perhaps that the RPOD brakes were not self-adjusting and needed adjustment (which brought me to this forum).

I didn't inherit any literature from Forest River about the brakes, so I got the Dexter Axle serial number from the sticker on the axle and called Dexter's service contact number. They told me that my axle has Forward-Self-Adjusting  brakes which automatically adjust for brake lining wear (without braking in reverse). (Coincidentally, the initials "FSA" were also typed on the axle sticker)

Furthermore, they said that the brakes are designed not to skid and that Dexter wishes that the brake controller manufacturers would stop advising the 20 MPH skid procedure for brake controller adjustment.
It sounds like you are left to your own devices find a comfortable brake controller setting with these kind of brakes. I have been setting my GMC controler at 6.0 (out of 10) and it seems to brake the trailer OK. But to be honest, I can't sense much difference when I vary the setting.

I have made a habit of comparing (by feel) the temperature of my trailer brakes to my tow vehicle brakes. If the trailer brakes are hotter than the truck's, then I start backing-off the controller setting number until they both warm-up to about the same temperature. This is the best subjective measure  that I've come up with to adjust my brake controller.  I'm thinking of buying a temperature sensing  gun to keep my hands clean and be a little more methodical/scientific.    
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 5:55pm
I'm not a believer in the lock up method. I find a parking lot and out TV in drive, then adjust controller to where the truck in idle does not pull the TT forward, the TT brake stops it when controller brake is applied.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:03pm
+1 with Mike.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
Chuck, I wondered the same thing...couldn't get the Pod brakes to lock up so were the brakes properly adjusted?  So I started doing what Mike suggested and it seems all is well.  On a separate issue I noticed, sometimes at a stop, the brakes feel like they stick when I begin to move forward again.  Wonder if that has to do with the FSA.    
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
HARLEYULTRA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 3:27pm
Charlie
The Lippert brakes are self adjusting when you stop going forward. A car is adjusted when you go back and apply the brakes. This is per Lippert
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:37pm
We use a temperature sensing gun for wheel bearings and brakes and tires. I look for differences between each side within the category( right vs left).  I think our tv brakes are usually a little warmer because they are discs instead of shoes. The pod tires are usually warmer because they are smaller diameter, thus more rpms. Bearings differences between the tv and trailer are also different- usually the pod is slightly hotter. Also the sunny side of bearings and tires will be warmer .
The temp gun really allows specific comparisons and you learn the normal trends afterwe wrote them down during a trip. We checked them every time we stopped. The gun came from Harbor Freight and was reasonably priced
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456