R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Brake Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Brake Adjustment
    Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Goose

... These brakes have the auto adjusting feature built into them so the only time that I readjust is when I have taken the hub off to grease the bearings.
   Hopes this will help you.   Goose

Goose,  my wheels have a grease fitting behind the dust cap that I pump with grease until it oozes out. Should I be taking off the hubs to manually grease the bearings? Or is that just your preference?  Bill
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 1:41pm
LOL @ Furpod, the Friday version eh?  hehe

Oh and my work clothes for the office are not the same as my outside work clothes.  I'd be very upset to get any of my hawaiin shirts dirty!

But upon your advice and coaxing I lifted up the Pod and pulled both of the little plastic covers off and looked inside with the flashlight.  One of them has nothing behind it and the other does not have the familiar star mechanism.

It has a single lever on a spring that when you push it upwards it does nothing and you can't push it down.  So these are either the self adjusting brakes that have been mentioned and mine don't self adjust or there is some trick to it. 

The Pod gets dropped off Tuesday night for it's lights anyways so I'll find out more then I hope.

Oh and Furpod, I don't think I have your number to where I could call!  Although I might grab that from you next weekend so that I can have in a time like this!  LOLLOL
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 7:26pm
  Bill, the POD"s have the E-Z Lube hub where you can grease the bearings without pulling the hub off and messing with the bearings. If you do not travel too many miles say maybe 1000 to 1500 a year, I would just grease the bearings through the hub for three or four years before taking them apart to clean, inspect and repack them. We travel around 5000 miles a year so I figure to pull the hub apart every two years which I will do in the spring. When you do inspect the bearings, pick up new seals cause it is pretty hard to get the old ones out without tearing them up.
  Travis the lever that you are seeing is part of the self adjusting mechanisem, you can see the parts when you take off the hub. To adjust, put your brake adjusting tool under the lever and raise the lever up making sure that tool rotates the star wheel which is behind the lever out of site. If you have the tool in to far you can't move it so bring it back out a little until you feel the wheel rotate. It may take a few trys to get the feel of it.
   As you rotate the tire and feel the brakes start to drag, then back them off a little till the tire spins free. To back off the brakes, take your tool and raise the self adjusting lever above the star wheel and slide it over the top, then keeping the tool against the star wheel let the lever down turning the star wheel. Do this just until the tire spins freely.
   I didn't have on my hawaiin shirt to slide under the trailer to make sure I remembered everything, but I did have on my white Padre Island Brewering Company shirt that is now black in the front. I did receive a dirty look as well from the head clothes washer.  Tongue  Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Goose

I didn't have on my hawaiin shirt to slide under the trailer to make sure I remembered everything, but I did have on my white Padre Island Brewering Company shirt that is now black in the front. I did receive a dirty look as well from the head clothes washer.  Tongue  Goose 

I KNOW that look..Embarrassed
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 12:25am
Just want to throw my 2 cents worth in. I remember chatting with the factory when I was investigating the lug nuts and it seems that the factory uses two different suppliers for axles.  Ours was built on the West Coast and the supplier is Lippert.  Briefly reviewing the lit that came with my trailer, there wasn't any mention of the brakes being automatically adjusted.  Will check with my local dealer when our Rpod goes in for its end of year inspection.  Will have the bearings repacked and have them adjust the brakes, if required.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 10:58am
    Camper Bob you are right, I forgot that they have used two different axles. I have the Dexter axle on our trailer. It was wrong of me to assume that they use a self adjusting brake with the Lippert axle.
   One would think that the standards would be the same no matter if it was built West Coast or in the East.     Goose 
Ks.Kev View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 11:06am
How does one know which axle they have? Is there a stamp or label on the axle itself or is there a difference in appearance?   
Kevin & Donna
2010 R-Pod 176
2011 Ford F150
Lariat Supercrew

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 11:12am
You might want to look at the pile of literature that you received if you bought your Rpod new from a dealer.  Or you might want to call the factory with your VIN number and they should be able to tell you.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 4:01pm
  There should be a lable with the manufactures name and the model number on it. The Dexter lable is on the front side of the axle on the right side (passenger side), just inside from the frame. It helps to have the axle model number when ordering brake or hub parts. Not sure where the Lippert lable is placed, maybe Camper Bob can check it out for those that might need to know.   Goose

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 6:40pm
Your certainly not suggesting that this old geezer get on his back and look for a label.  I did find a Lippert instruction booklet with my other brochures.  Someone had suggested that I get a 3" 3 ring binder and get a box full of those clear plastic sleeves.  Then I put one brochure in each one.  Perfect...  I keep that binder in the trailer and while camping this weekend I had to look up the instructions for the microwave.  Of course, they were there.  Sure makes things easier.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>