Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intro and Question re: Wallmarting
    Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:52am
Welcome,
We haven't done the Wal-Marts but have used Flying J trucks stops all the way down to southern Florida, they are great, have a lot of choices for food, dump stations and pretty good gas prices also. They are very camper friendly. They have a web site  www.flyingj.com that will give you a nationwide list of their stores and the options at each store.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Mike_n_Deb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 11:26pm

Wow, thanks all for the 'Wallmarting' tips.

Podsible Dream...Yes wear and tear on my new Jeep does concern me but I think the 171 vs 177 weight difference isn't enough to matter much in the long run. what I mean is if the 177 is too much then the 171 probably is too. I really have no qualms about a 1 or 2 day tow to a campground for a prolonged stay, but an extended cruise that involves 3-4 weeks of continuous driving is a bit intimidating.

The drive to the RV dealer today didn't help that feeling. A massive front moved across the northeast today so some of the drive was in 'can't see out the windshield' downpours. On top of that we ran into accidents that caused hour long stop and go delays. BOTH ways.

On the bright side, the downpours let up the whole time we were at the dealership. They had 5 rpod units to look at, two 177s in different interior colors, a 176 and two of the 180 models. No 171 however. They said everybody wants the slide and the 171s tend to sit on the lot too long.

I was impressed, the quality of the 2013 rpod is better than I expected. The 177s had the diamond plate front rockguard and axle risers. As far as I know the only thing missing from the West coast HRE version is the knobby 15 inch tires and high altitude propane mod (whatever that is). The drawer slides are all metal and the head is actually roomier than I imagined it to be.

Barbara, the sales rep we dealt with, was very nice and spent lots of time answering questions and digging up a jump battery to show us the slide in action. We were up front about only being there to 'look' today so no prices were discussed. We were also left alone to 'hang out' inside one for a while. If we buy it will almost certainly be from them. (Hemlock Hill RV, CT.) We even checked out some of the megabuck units, OMG, our home isn't that nice.

All in all it was a good day, even though it made us question whether we really want to take up interstate highway driving as a new hobby. :)

Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:06am
  Glade that things went well for you, only you two can make the right choice that the RV lifestyle is right for you. We only try to drive 450 to 500 miles a day and look for either KOA or Good Sam parks to stay at. 600 miles in a day is a little longer than I care to do on vacation, that is generally 10 to 12 hours on the road by the time you figure in your fuel stops and lunch.   Goose  
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:42am

Whoa, you have more stamina than I Goose. We do a trip to the Maine/New Hampshire seacoast every year that takes 5 hours give or take and when we arrive I am 'ready' to get out of the car. I imagine I could probably go 7 hours in a day with a good break in the middle but 10-12, I don't think so.

Yeah, that's kinda where we are at now, deciding if we want to adopt the 'lifestyle' or if we're just caught up in a passing infatuation. Thankfully we have some time to let all this sink in and get a better sense of the reality vs the fantasy.

The info on this site has really been a big help and I will continue reading the adventures of all you brave souls who have taken the leap.

Thanks again, everyone.

..........Mike

Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 8:20am
Hi Mike,

My wife and I just finished a 14 day trip in which we only stayed in one place a maximum of 4 days. We traveled anywhere from 5 to 12 hours in a day but we almost never went without a break. If we came across something that interested us we stopped and had a look. We did not start most days until 11 am and did not drive past 6pm. We allowed 4 days to make a 15 hour journey. I have done the journey straight through in the past this was a lot more fun. on the return trip I drove the one 12 hour stretch I had because I had to be back to work the next day. When we are staying more that 1 day we always stay at campgrounds but if it is just an overnighter we have stayed at roadside rests Walmarts and Cracker Barrel Restaurants as well. When I choose a free overnight spot I like it if there are other RV's there or it is a busy spot, for security.   My wife and I could sleep through a hurricane so we will park near the big rigs at a road side rests. 

I tow with a 2009 Jeep Liberty which is a very similar sized vehicle to you Wrangler. The Wrangler has 80+ hp on the Liberty though so I don't see you having any issues with the Wrangler. With the Liberty I have a top speed 70mph on level road but I usually drive at 60 because that is the most fuel efficient. On a couple of steeper hills  I could only maintain 50 mph. I learned real quick to pick up a little speed on the downhills to carry me through the uphills. If you decide to buy get a good weight distribution hitch with sway control. I find that with the light weight and short wheelbase of the Jeep the wind will tend to toss the jeep around a little without it.  I hope that helps a little with your decision.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 11:51am
   I don't drive but 2 to 3 hours at a time and stop to walk and move around after having a knee replaced. Not good for the blood flow to sit a long time.    Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:46pm

Hi Sean.

I have noticed a few folks using the Liberty. I had to go back to the Jeep website to compare it to my Unlimited. I agree, the power is there in the Unlimited, but the Liberty does have a 5000lbs rating and class III hitch vs 3500 and class II in the Wrangler.

I'm guessing the lower rating of the Unlimited is probably due to it's high ground clearance offroad design and handling qualities not power issues. I had the 2 door Wrangler with the straight six 4.0L engine for 14 years before this one. The new 2012 3.6L v6 with 5 speed auto trans puts it to shame on the highway. The 4.0L had plenty of low end power but virtually no accelleration.

I do intend to go with a WDH/sway system if/when we decide to buy the rpod. And I've pretty well resigned myself to the idea of cruising in the 50-60 mph range for saftey and gas mileage.

........Mike

Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 8:22pm
You will need a class III hitch installed as well as a brake controller also.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:26pm

Yeah I knew about needing a brake controller but maybe I'm wrong about the class hitch installed (just read it off the jeep website which I thought said class II).

In any case I had the factory 'tow group' (hitch, wiring, and 3.73 gears) installed when I ordered the vehicle (there was no heavier duty option available) and will be very annoyed to find out it's not adequate for towing an rpod. It certainly 'looks' adequate and I would expect it to 'be' adequate for the vehicle limit. If it's not I'm gonna have words with the jeep dealer.

Or is it that WDH systems only work on class III hitches?

.........Mike
GypsyEdie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:17am
A few years back when we had a class B motor home, we traveled from Florida to Arizona pretty inexpensive as far as camping.  We joined Passport America which gives you 50% off the regular rates and they send you a book with a list of their campgrounds.  Without making any in advance plans, we would check about 1 hour before we wanted to stop for the night, in the book, call the campground and asked if they had space.  These were campgrounds that were close to the highway.  They always said yes and were very cheap.  If the rate was 20, we paid 10.  And to save additional money we stayed every other night at a Flying J, which lets you park there for free.  We have a GPS and it would tell us where the closest Flying J was located.  We never stayed at Walmart.  We only drove about 6 hours per day so it took us about 10 days to get there but we had fun and sometimes stayed 2 days if we liked a place.
Gypsy Edie & Joe
A Yorkie named Kona
2013 R-Pod 177 named Gypsy Pod
2005 Toyota 4 runner
Cedar Key, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>