Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-Pod Owner w/ Generator Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-Pod Owner w/ Generator Question
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 1:57am
My wife and I bought our first RV this summer, a 177.  Very happy with it, but I'm new to this arena.  I've read many posts regarding generators, but I'm a bit confused.  

We plan on doing some dry camping, and I'd like to be able to run the AC.  Is the Yamaha EF2000iS (or the equivalent Honda model) sufficient to power the R-Pod, including the AC?  
Brandon & Krystal Smith
Keizer, OR
2013 R-Pod 177
2006 Honda Ridgeline
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 3:23am
The Honda and Yamaha 2000's can run everything in the Rpods with the probable exception of the air conditioner. A 2000 inverter/generator may be ok in some instances to run the 13500 BTU air that is, I believe, installed on Pods. But they're not really large enough to be dependable. A hard start capacitor can be installed that will help, but is not the cure all-end all solution. A larger genset or 2 Yamaha or Honda 2000's running in parallel is what's needed especially if you are at any elevation.

My Pod did not come with air, and we've not yet had it installed. When we do, it will be a Coleman, and not a Dometic. That's just my personal preference, as I've had much better luck with Colemans, and they've not been quite as loud. I'm also going to get a 9200 BTU Coleman Polar Cub. Yes, it's smaller, but big enough, I think, for our RPod 175. The amp draw is some less than the 13500's, and will give me a better chance of running it with my single Yamaha 2000 generator/inverter. Still a crap shoot, but with a little better odds.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:35am
The Yamaha does power the AC in my RP-151.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Beavis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:42am
I've been reading reviews for the Yamaha 2400 model, and most state it will run the AC.  
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:59am
Go to Google and search "hard start."  There you will find how to replace the starting capacitor on your A/C which is undersized, to a larger one.  Parts cost about $10-$20.  Many, if not most, have been able to run their 13,500 BTU A/C with the generator.  If your handy, you can replace it yourself, but do read the info on Google, before attempting.  I had my local dealer replace the starting capacitor for $71.  Although I purchased a new Honda 2000I, I have not tried it yet.  Simply because we haven't gone camping yet without a full hookup.  That changes in two weeks when we again camp, this time, without a full hookup.  Recently one of the posters here after much analysis paralysis purchased a Honda.  Don't recall whether he tried the A/C or not, but he was delighted at the low sound levels of the running generator.  As someone once said, "Nobody has ever been fired for buying IBM."  I think of Honda in the same terms.  Safe Travels. 
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:08am
Beavis.  We are having a roundup in Sept. starting on Thursday the 13th thru Sunday the 16th.  Would love to have you join us other podders.  It will be very informal and we have one podder who just returned from puller their Rpod from Wash. state to Alaska and back.  They will be our highlight speaker at a potluck on Sat. nite.  Hope you can join us.  We have a campground in Seaside.  Here is the info.  Circle Creek RV Park  503-738-6070.  If you make a reservation, tell them your with the Rpod group.  Will get a discount price.  Safe Travels.
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 12:20pm
Hey nascar with your Yamaha (2000?) and Camper Bob with your capacitor, have either of you got any experience with running your A/C's at 2000 feet of elevation or more? Many of my boondocking oppurtunities around here are at elevation, and even if I get a smaller A/C I'm wondering if I'll have to get another Yamaha to parallel. I really don't want to go to that expense. Most internal combustion engines lose power at elevation, and I don't wanna bake because I'm underpowered. Sorry Beavis, I don't want to be a butthead and jack your post.
'12 Toyota Tundra

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 12:29pm
I have the Honda, untested, with a 13,500 BTU A/C.  In two weeks we are heading up to 6,300'.  Will let you know.  Safe Travels. 
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 4:38pm
Thanks CB, looking forward to hearing how you do!
'12 Toyota Tundra
Beavis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Camper Bob

Beavis.  We are having a roundup in Sept. starting on Thursday the 13th thru Sunday the 16th.  Would love to have you join us other podders.  It will be very informal and we have one podder who just returned from puller their Rpod from Wash. state to Alaska and back.  They will be our highlight speaker at a potluck on Sat. nite.  Hope you can join us.  We have a campground in Seaside.  Here is the info.  Circle Creek RV Park  503-738-6070.  If you make a reservation, tell them your with the Rpod group.  Will get a discount price.  Safe Travels.

Thanks for the invite.  I'll actually be in Seaside the last weekend of August for the Hood To Coast Relay.  Not going to be able to make it in Sept though.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>