R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic AC+Hard Start Capacitor+2000w Generato

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
plains View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic AC+Hard Start Capacitor+2000w Generato
    Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 1:30am
I read a response from a Supco rep saying if you are installing the SPP6, you should not remove any of the existing capacitors, but rather just install the Supco in addition. I have tried it this way, and also as a replacement, but no luck.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Camper Bob

...recommend replacing the original starting cap with the Supco SPP6E.

I was wrong - You're right.  The SPP6E is a replacement for the start cap.  (see Supco)
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Originally posted by plains

Ok - so I ended up buying the Ryobi 2000w Inverter Generator from Home Depot today. It retails for $599.99. It seems like it is well built, and it successfully started up my AC on the "AC Fan" setting a couple times, but would only work half the time, and of course flipping back on the breaker for the batter charger would send it into overload. So along with the Champion 2000, the Ryobi will be going back.

Just as a side note - the Champion is whisper quiet compared to the Ryobi. The Champion running full out is quieter than the Ryobi rubbing on auto-idle (their version of eco throttle). Though the Champion can't run the AC (or at least my AC), I would highly recommend it. It only cost $490 at Sam's Club, and the noise, fuel efficiency, and weight are all nearly identical to the Honda EU2000i.

Looks like I'm on the market for a Yamaha EF2400iSCH...

You must have a bunch of money and time to piss away.  Did you listen to any suggestions before you went out and purchase, yet another, generator that's not doing what you need it to do?  Damn man.  That Yamaha that I linked for you will work fine on your Pod or at least it does on mine.

Easy does it now.

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 11:21pm
Not to be contrary.  However, I did check the install instructions from one of the RV websites regarding the changing of the start cap.  According to ModmyRv for hard starting the A/C they recommend replacing the original starting cap with the Supco SPP6E.  Which I had done.  Are you now saying that I should have just added this Supco to the existing cap.  Confused.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 10:12pm
Thanks Outbound. The capacitor is installed parallel with the existing capacitor. When I opened my Dometic, there were existing capacitor devices on the compressor's hard start circuit. One was a black/grey cylinder (looks to be the actual capacitor based on other's photos), and then there was a much smaller device that the circuit also passes through. I just added the capacitor parallel to these.

Do you think the order matters? When you installed one on yours, do you remember the order you used?

Thanks again.
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 9:55pm
Well, it sounds like you've done everything right.  I'm really surprised that the SPP6e didn't work for you.  You did just run it in parallel to the existing capacitor, right?  (and didn't remove the existing capacitor?)

By the way, that Champ you bought produces 2000 watts peak and 1600 watts continuous.  I've never investigated the Ryobi, but its likely similar.  The Yamaha, which is definitely the generator I'd recommend for an R-POD (or most any 30-amp travel trailer) produces 2400 watts peak and 2000 watts continuous.

FYI, here's my own power consumption findings:

My R-POD's steady state - 7 watts - everything turned off, only the converter running, plus the TV and Microwave's power leach. 

Air conditioner running - 1152 watts

My meter measured a peak of 1210 watts... which is likely wrong.  The sampling rate is too slow to capture the true peak draw.

Personally, I've got a Hyundai HY2000si, which produces 2200 watts peak and 2000 watts continuous (and reminds me that there are no standards in naming generators) and does a fine job of running my A/C without need for a starting capacitor.  But, again, I still recommend the Yamaha for reliability.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 8:32pm
Just returned from leaving a whole lotta cash at Costco.  Just buying the normal "stuff" to keep our household running.  Did notice they have a 2 KW genset with inverter for $489.
Noise level from 51-62db.  About as quiet as the Honda and about half the price.  I have taken the extra step of replacing the starting cap with one that's designed to ease the start.  I have a brand new Honda 2KW but have not put any fuel in it to try.  When I have some time, will start it up and see if the larger starting cap will allow me to run my A/C from the Honda.  Heading down to Big Sur on Friday for a week.  Possibly when I return will try my Honda.  Have a full hookup in Monterey.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 5:29pm
I didn't waste a penny as both Home Depot and Sam's Club assured me I could return the generators if they did not work for my situation. 

The generator you linked to was what I mentioned in my original post... I am aware that the EF2400 can handle the load, but I am trying to find a way to use a less expensive generator that consumes less fuel when I am not running the AC and merely charging my batteries.

Many on this forum and others have gotten their AC running on a 2000w inverter, and that is my goal, though it seems like I might be out of luck, but I am looking for suggestions, and hoping my experience will help others.
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by plains

Ok - so I ended up buying the Ryobi 2000w Inverter Generator from Home Depot today. It retails for $599.99. It seems like it is well built, and it successfully started up my AC on the "AC Fan" setting a couple times, but would only work half the time, and of course flipping back on the breaker for the batter charger would send it into overload. So along with the Champion 2000, the Ryobi will be going back.

Just as a side note - the Champion is whisper quiet compared to the Ryobi. The Champion running full out is quieter than the Ryobi rubbing on auto-idle (their version of eco throttle). Though the Champion can't run the AC (or at least my AC), I would highly recommend it. It only cost $490 at Sam's Club, and the noise, fuel efficiency, and weight are all nearly identical to the Honda EU2000i.

Looks like I'm on the market for a Yamaha EF2400iSCH...

You must have a bunch of money and time to piss away.  Did you listen to any suggestions before you went out and purchase, yet another, generator that's not doing what you need it to do?  Damn man.  That Yamaha that I linked for you will work fine on your Pod or at least it does on mine.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
plains View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 4:59pm
Nope.. I have the water heater set to propane, and have everything but the Main and AC turned off at the breaker. I had my wife monitor a Kill-A-Watt meter, and though it probably didn't capture the initial surge accurately, she said it didn't go over 1600 watts starting and stayed around 1100-1300 while plugged into the house. I also know it can't be another massive device as I am plugged into a 15 amp circuit at home currently and it doesn't trip w/ the ac and other smaller devices runnings.

Only thing I can think is that I installed the capacitor wrong or my AC unit simply draws more power somehow. For reference, our elevation is 594ft currently, I am using the shore power cord that came with the POD, and a 30 to 15amp plug adapter on the generator to attach it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>