R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?
    Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 4:34pm
I think if you keep speeds in order (55-60) and are careful in the wind you will be OK.  Climbing the rockies may be slow, but you should be OK.  I would recommend weight distribution with a light TV. 
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:29pm
PDX, a WDH may not be needed, but you'll really feel more comfortable towing with one than without. Even with a larger tow rig a WDH helps you not feel like you're driving a Smart Car with a gorilla jumping on your rear bumper!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:27pm
Great, I will look into one if I finally decide that a 171 will work!. Is an MKX a small TV?
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:58pm
Our TV is a 08 chevy trailblazer 4.2 I6, I use a friction bar type antisway, it goes between the hitch tongue and the right side of the tongue on the pod, there is a threaded lever to increase or decrease friction, it basically is like a disc brake it dampens sway between the t.v. and the pod. In southern Indiana we are very hilly, almost as bad as ashville N Carolina, I 64 semis , hills no problem, sometimes you can feel a little cross wind during stormy weather, but I have pulled with and without the antisway, I think the antisway helps some, I also think the longer wheel base of the trail blazer is helpful, and its weight 4200 lbs.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 10:55pm
dsmiths, our MKX is over 4400 lbs curb weight for our AWD.
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 11:37pm
I looked up the specs on your TV you have more HP than my Jeep Liberty, a longer wheelbase, and your overall weight is only 200 pounds more than mine so I don't think you will have any problems with towing. The only question I have is about the suspension on the Lincoln. with a 3500 pound towing limit I think the springs may be lighter than the Jeep but the Jeep rides like a tank. I would try towing without WDH to see what you think but I think you will want to get it eventually. 
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Seanl

I looked up the specs on your TV you have more HP than my Jeep Liberty, a longer wheelbase, and your overall weight is only 200 pounds more than mine so I don't think you will have any problems with towing. The only question I have is about the suspension on the Lincoln. with a 3500 pound towing limit I think the springs may be lighter than the Jeep but the Jeep rides like a tank. I would try towing without WDH to see what you think but I think you will want to get it eventually. 

...but, I am confused, as I thought that I could not get a WDH for a class II hitch. What am I missing?
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:06pm
To the best of my knowledge, you can't get a WDH for a class 2, but you can upgrade to a class 3 or heavier hitch for not an unreasonable amount of cash. Then if your class 2 wasn't stable enough for your towing setup you can add a WDH. Towing, adjusting, and upgrading can be so frustrating. Many of us have found that the closer you come to your tow rig's limits, the more frustrating it becomes. There are no definitive answers, just semi-tenable decisions to be made. Again, many of us have been down this road!
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Kickstart

To the best of my knowledge, you can't get a WDH for a class 2, but you can upgrade to a class 3 or heavier hitch for not an unreasonable amount of cash. Then if your class 2 wasn't stable enough for your towing setup you can add a WDH. Towing, adjusting, and upgrading can be so frustrating. Many of us have found that the closer you come to your tow rig's limits, the more frustrating it becomes. There are no definitive answers, just semi-tenable decisions to be made. Again, many of us have been down this road!

Well spoken!  May I suggest looking at this:

Many tow with and many tow without WDHand/or anti-sway and both are satisfied.  Personally, I've always towed without and been satisfied.  With that said however, I am considering an E2 WDH ONLY because I am at or over my tongue limit spec of 500lbs (without WDH)....though the total trailer weight is well under spec. and the truck's suspension hardly "notices" the trailer weight.

Here is what I look like fully loaded:

The tongue weight of the trailer is 280lbs.  Add in 2 batteries (100lbs approx), 2 propane tanks (40lbs), misc. stuff forward of the axles, and, in the picture, a full (20 gal) fresh water tank (@ 8lbs per gal - also forward of the axles) and I am clearly above what I should be.  With that said, I've towed this way for two years without a hint of a problem (and I usually don't travel with a full fresh water tank).

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would at minimum install a class 3 hitch with a 6000lbs ball.  I would try this a trip or two and check my "comfort level"and then decide.  Anti-sway and/or WDH can always be added - if needed or desired.  Your tongue weight may "mandate" that you upgrade to the class 3, regardless.  I hope this helps. 

For the record my hitch is rated at 5000lbs without WDH, 10,500 with WDH (class IV).  The camper weighs 3018lbs with all of the accessories - plus about 600lbs (for the above stuff)....or about 36-3700lbs total.

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm
Just because the Pod's front is curved...there doesn't seem to be much efficiency from the shape.
The Pod's frontal area is approximated 45 square feet.
That is one of the reasons most people only get 12-13 mpg regardless of the tow vehicle.
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>