R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I tow an R-POD 171 with a 2012 MKX?
    Posted: 31 May 2012 at 6:47pm
After an 8 page discussion on another general forum, I thought I would try here as there were many opinions on that forum with no solution!

We have a new 2012 Lincoln MKX and it has the towing package. It said the hitch was good for the standard 3500 lb max load and it has a transmission cooler and anti sway. I was looking into a Forest River R-POD 171, but in spite of what a good dealer said, I am still concerned. I know that I would travel with a minimum of fresh water and keep the tanks flushed, or low. After all, 100+ gallons of Fresh/Black, and Gray, is at least 800 lbs.

So, any thoughts from anyone who has done this with this type of Xover? Some on other forums say they would not even tow an R-POD with less that a class III hitch and a 5,000 lb. towing capacity! The dealer said that my MKX would be fine! Still I worry about going 65MPH on a highway and having an 18 wheeler pass!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 8:21pm

Welcome.  Many people tow their pods with 3500 pound rated tow vehicles, including me for 1 1/2 seasons - from Maryland to Florida, and from Maryland to Maine.  I recommend a weight distribution hitch to improve the ride and overall control, like the Equalizer or E2.

The R-Pod is one of the lightest travel trailers around, but its downside is it has a very large wind resistance which most feel above 55 mph on the highway.  

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:36pm
Does your hitch have a two inch reciever? In order to use a weight distribution hitch you need one. I had to change the hitch on my Jeep Liberty the old one only had a 1 inch reciever.
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:51pm
Thank you for the answers. I can get a 2" as that is what I will need. I do not have the ball hitch itself yet.  Also, the Lincoln tow package states that a WDH is not needed as they have anti sway, etc. However, they also want the trailer to be limited to 31 sq ft resistance. That seems low but the front of the 171 does seem curved and perhaps IS less than that.
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 1:45am
Hey PDX,

Yup, I was one of the guys on the other board that warned you to be careful. My tow rig that was rated @ 4800 lbs didn't have near the hp or torque that you have, but the chassis was a little more heavy duty as it was a mid sized P/U. The front wheel drive and chassis must be the reason that a rig with as much power as yours is only rated @ 3500lbs.  As long as you set up your towing combo well, you may be satisfied with the job your Lincoln does. Semi suck and sway is not usually much of a problem for a properly set up towing combination. Again, good luck with a decision that works for you.
'10 RP 175-Replaced by 2014 Kodiak 173 QBSL
'12 Toyota Tundra
'05 Sportster (half a Harley)
Retired-We're on Beach Time!
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 8:26am
I continue to be amazed at what people will attempt to tow.  That being said, if your vehicle didn't come with a 2" hitch mount stock, there was a reason.  I pull my lite-weight RP-151 with a truck that's rated for a 6500-lb towing capacity and I'm still a bit nervous going down the road with that, wanting something a bit more to pull with.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 9:06am
My Rig is rated at 5,000 pounds and I don't need weight distribution but I find it more comfortable with it. The rear end can get bouncy on rough roads. 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Seanl

...I don't need weight distribution but I find it more comfortable with it.  
Basically its giving you another set of springs at the pivot point to absorb the up/down motion of the trailer tonge.  On my prior TV (Toyota minivan) once I added the WDH it ended up feeling like I was driving a big old Cadillac down the road.  Much smoother.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

I continue to be amazed at what people will attempt to tow.  That being said, if your vehicle didn't come with a 2" hitch mount stock, there was a reason.  I pull my lite-weight RP-151 with a truck that's rated for a 6500-lb towing capacity and I'm still a bit nervous going down the road with that, wanting something a bit more to pull with.

Our MKX DID come with a Class II 2" hitch mount. I only said that I did not purchase the Hitch/2" Ball yet.
PDX97229 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Kickstart

Hey PDX,

Yup, I was one of the guys on the other board that warned you to be careful. My tow rig that was rated @ 4800 lbs didn't have near the hp or torque that you have, but the chassis was a little more heavy duty as it was a mid sized P/U. The front wheel drive and chassis must be the reason that a rig with as much power as yours is only rated @ 3500lbs.  As long as you set up your towing combo well, you may be satisfied with the job your Lincoln does. Semi suck and sway is not usually much of a problem for a properly set up towing combination. Again, good luck with a decision that works for you.

Yes, hello again. but you must have a different name here as I do.  :-)

Our MKX has AWD, not Front Wheel Drive. As I said on the other forum I had no idea this would be so hard to determine! Yet the R-POD dealer insists that this will be no trouble for me, as long as I do not travel with all 3 tanks full. Even though Lincoln states that a WDH is not needed, I assume that means I can use one if I wish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>