Topic ClosedNew tow vehicle - Chevy Suburban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tow vehicle - Chevy Suburban
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:47am
Excellent choice! Smile

Mine has the 3.42 rear end.  I could have gotten the 3.73 and gained an additional 1000lbs tow capacity but, milage would have been (in theory) not as good.  Also, I have the 4 speed transmission, vs. the 6 speed.  My "before coffee" brain doesn't remember the exact model number but, it is the new version of the 700R4  that has been around for years and seems to be very reliable. 

In 2009, all of the 5.3L had Active Fuel Management, which lets the vehicle run on 4 cyls when engine demand is light. 

I bought mine the day after Thanksgiving in 2009 and the only issue I have had so far is a traction control sensor went bad.  It was covered under warranty.

I hope you like it! 

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:05am
Still have 15 months of the factory all-in warranty left on mine, so if anything is going to go wrong it better happen before then. 

I do like the Active Fuel Management system, I saw it shifting from V4 to V8 during the test drive.  Supposedly it reactivates in 20 ms so should be transparent to the driver.  I'll be testing that out over the next few weeks.  Lots of mpg variables to play with, like if there is much difference in leaving it in 2WD or Auto; it has a bug deflector so I may try it on and off; and playing with the AFM to see just how much difference I see tank-to-tank if I try to keep it in V4 mode as much as possible vs. driving normally.

I wanted a 2009 or newer because of the 6-speed tranny, specifically for towing.  That was one of the big downsides of my Sienna - it has a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd gear.  I would hit a slight incline and it would drop into 3rd, but 3rd was so close to 4th that it still couldn't keep up so it would soon drop to 2nd.  2nd was a lot lower to get into the power curve so the rpms would shoot up to a billion and torque steer would suddenly be a big problem (front wheel drive).  I will enjoy towing with rear-wheel drive and a well-balanced tranny.  I noticed it has an auto hill braking mode when in tow mode which will be nice, too.  Not that I needed brakes on hills much since the pod is such a nice air dam!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:57pm
If I really watch my right foot, I have got as good as nearly 23mpg during normal driving.  My commute consists of county roads and then stop and go city once I get into Indy ( no highway).  Any more, I just drive normal and get 20+.  Yep, I don't even notice the AFM unless I look at the dashboard. 

I didn't tow the Pod a lot with it but, when I did, I got the same mpg's as with the Coleman.  Your Prodigy controller is an easy DIY....if you haven't already tended to that.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:09am
Well, for better and worse it looks like I won't be getting quite as good mpg as you for daily driving.  So far most days I'm getting around 18 with mostly highway time and some slow traffic.  Once I fill the tank back up and can compare my actual total mpg I'll decide if it will be my daily driver or not...

I spent an hour last night searching all of the RPO codes (options), and discovered my "really good deal" was really a "hell of a deal".  They had priced it thinking it had a 3.08 rear, then they confirmed it had the 3.42 before I went to see it.  Still allowed me to talk them down $500 when their original price was way below everything else on the market to start with.  Now that I've run all the codes I see it also has the heavy-duty cooling/trailering option which bumps up the towing capacity another ~2000 pounds.  I can do 7900 pounds total with a combined weight of 14,000.  Not that I'll ever tow that much.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:06pm
Put a boat behind the pod?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:43pm
Don't give the man too many ideas! Next thing he'll be joining one of those other forums all about those silver tubes    (and we'll be looking' for a new Admin!)
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:55pm
My wife would LOVE one of those silver tubes.  Me, not so much.  
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:13pm
Just an additional thought.  When I bought our Suburban new in '93, it was suggested to get the 2500 instead of the 1500.  Seems that the 1500 uses standard car brakes whereas the 2500 used heavier duty brakes and drive train.  Don't know if that is still how they are made.  Might want to check before buying.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 9:21pm

No worries, they use the same platform for all of their trucks.  I have the RPO code for 17" 4-wheel disc brakes and they feel very firm.

I had to move my pod onto my driveway yesterday so I could take some measurements - I need to order a new part to drop the ball on my Equalizer E2.  While I only moved it down and up the driveway (about 1/5 of a mile total) I couldn't even tell the pod was back there.  Can't wait to get the part I need so I can take it out on the road.  Smile 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 5:16am
Originally posted by techntrek

Well, for better and worse it looks like I won't be getting quite as good mpg as you for daily driving.  So far most days I'm getting around 18 with mostly highway time and some slow traffic.  Once I fill the tank back up and can compare my actual total mpg I'll decide if it will be my daily driver or not...

I spent an hour last night searching all of the RPO codes (options), and discovered my "really good deal" was really a "hell of a deal".  They had priced it thinking it had a 3.08 rear, then they confirmed it had the 3.42 before I went to see it.  Still allowed me to talk them down $500 when their original price was way below everything else on the market to start with.  Now that I've run all the codes I see it also has the heavy-duty cooling/trailering option which bumps up the towing capacity another ~2000 pounds.  I can do 7900 pounds total with a combined weight of 14,000.  Not that I'll ever tow that much.

Well, I have to admit that I suspect my "county roads driving" is kind of a "sweet spot" for the TV.  At 40-50mph it seems to get the best mileage.  Above that, wind resistance starts pulling down the mpgs a bit.  Again, 18 is about the worst I've ever gotten.

I, too, have the HD trailering package and the factory hitch is a class 4 - 5000lbs or 10,500 with a WDH.  I am beginning to consider a WDH - only because I am pushing the tongue limit of 500lbs, when fully loaded.  With the HD suspension, the 1/2 ton truck actually is rated at 1700+ payload and only drops the rear about one inch. 

But, one the other hand, a small 5th wheel would be nice..........LOL Cry$$$.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>