R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlaving the TV Signal ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slaving the TV Signal ...
    Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 3:56pm
Does anyone know how (or have successfully slaved the TV signal coming out of the Audiovox unit that comes with the Pod ? I have a really light and thin 21" flat panel TV that I would like to mount on the wall to the left as you come into our 177 so that we can watch/hear TV when we are sitting at the dinnette.

I tried a couple different cabling configurations but can't seem to get a signal feed to the flat panel TV. I'm just thinking that there MUST be a "video out" cable connector or HDMI plug. I do see the standard Red/Yellow/White RCA connectors on the back of the Audiovox unit but they don't apppear to be outputs and can't get my head up there close enough to read the wording. They are probably audio/video "inputs" ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark J
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm
There are a bunch of models installed in the pods - I know some have audio outputs (red and white RCA plugs), I'm not sure about video out.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:43am

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if you're replacing the TV, just use the feed from it.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 8:29am
The Audiovox tv RCA outputs only work to play the DVD player on an external tv.  I tried to set up a remote speaker system feed by the audio on the back and it will work only when in DVD mode.  Originally I thought that there was something wrong with my unit, but after asking a few folks on this forum I found that others had the same issue.  I also confirmed this with their customer service.  It is just how they designed it.  I thought once I might try to rewire it but later thought better.

Dave
Dave
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 8:38am
My Pod's built-in TV only has inputs, no output feed.  Is the flat-screen unit you are trying to install a monitor (no tuner) or a true tv (internal tuner)?  If it is a monitor and your Pod's TV does not have outputs, there is no way for the flat screen to display tv signals! If the new unit has a tuner, you can hook the cable/antenna feed from the wall of the Pod to the unit.  You can buy a signal splitter to feed to both units via the wall cable antenna outlet.
Remember that the Pod's circular roof antenna gets very poor reception to begin with.  Splitting the signal will further degrade reception.
TIDALWAVE
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:53am
[QUOTE=brownd] The Audiovox tv RCA outputs only work to play the DVD player on an external tv.

=========================================================

That's essentially what I want to do - - attach an "external" (or slave) TV. Going to give it another try today. I read over the Audiovox booklet that came with the unit and supposedly the Red/Yellow/White RCA plugs on the back of the unit are "outputs". One possibility is that I didn't have the input mode set properly on the slave TV. If all else fails, I will probably look into getting a different Audiovox or similar cable receiver and split the incoming cable.

Thanks     ...MJ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:56am
Related question     ...on the inside of the wooden cabinet there is a switch plate where the cable for the Audiovox unit is connected. However, there is a second jack on that switchplate that reads "Aux/Satellite". Does anyone know if that is a "live" jack or just a dummy for later use.

Thanks,

MJ
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Footslogger03

That's essentially what I want to do - - attach an "external" (or slave) TV.

There is an easier way to do this...get a 181 or 182G LOL
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 11:53am
  The Aux/Satellite is only live if you connect the Cable or Sat to the outside inputs to feed the TV.  I thought that ours was not working the first time that we hooked up the Cable and figured out that I had to hook up the Cable into the one that said SAT. because the Cable side must not be hooked up some where inside the POD.  Hope that you can make sense of this.  Goose  Confused
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Goose

The Aux/Satellite is only live if you connect the Cable or Sat to the outside inputs to feed the TV.  I thought that ours was not working the first time that we hooked up the Cable and figured out that I had to hook up the Cable into the one that said SAT. because the Cable side must not be hooked up some where inside the POD.  Hope that you can make sense of this.  Goose  Confused
============================================

So    ...if I understant correctly - - the Aux/Satellite jack is wired to the external jack on the skin of the POD. If that is true   ...and you are staying at a campground that offers cable at each campsite, I could hook my new 21" flat panel to that Aux jack (which should be a live feed from a cable box located somewhere in the campground) and it should work fine - - at least to the extent of the cable channel selections being offered at that particular campground.

On the other hand, the jack that is connected to the Audiovox TV/Radio/DVD player that came with the Pod is wired to the external antenna on the roof of the Pod - - so it's only as good as the signal (in air) reception will allow depending on where you are camping.

Only reason this is an issue for me (because we don't even watch that much TV when we're camping) is that in order to locate the new 21" flat panel TV out near the dinnette I would have to run power and coax - - and I'd rather not do that if it's not going to work.

Thanks for everyone's feedback    ...

MJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>