R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgas delivery problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: gas delivery problem
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 9:29pm
New pod purchased last fall, used 2 times, this spring during dewinterization I noticed that the gas stove will run about 3 to 5 seconds and then die down. turn the lp tank valve off and unscrew hose to allow regulator to relax and turn the valve back on, 3 to 5 seconds and the flame dies down, repeat 10 times, same results. I am thinking that the tank was never properly purged, normally regulators are not an issue. I am going to leave the tank turned on over night and see what it does in the morning. I still think the problem is in the LP gas tank valve or is not properly filled and or purged, local lp guy put in on the scales and said its alright, oh yeah what is it full of ?????
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:09am
Do you have a spare tank from a gas grill you could exchange and use instead to see if that is indeed your problem.  Sounds like you are on the right track unless you used that same tank last year w/o any issues.  If it were a purging problem it doesn't seem like it would have worked last fall either.  Keep us posted !
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 8:36am
Could be a couple of things.  If you think that it's the tank, try releasing some gas from the tank.  We had to do that once when we got the tanks filled.  The second, though, is that you might have air in the lines.  You could try keeping the stove lit until it stops going out.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by tpierce220

You could try keeping the stove lit until it stops going out.  

I agree with tpierce220.  Although, if the safety on the tank is tripping, I'd snoop (eyes, ears and nose) around and make sure that there isn't a leak in a line somewhere.

You may also want to try a different tank (you can always borrow one from a neighbours BBQ).
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:19pm
Make sure you aren't opening the tank valve too quickly - you would be amazed how slowly you need to turn it to prevent a trip of the safety valve.  Think a full minute to spin that valve around a few times from fully closed to fully opened.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 8:18pm
Techntrek, you may be right, last night before turning in, I shut off the valve on the tank, unhooked the line to the tank and then put it back on, turned the valve on, did not try any appliances and left the valve on overnight. this a.m. I told Donna I was going to check it then start taking lines off, before and after the regulator to see what would happen. I went in turned on the stove on with both burners, they were fine, then started the hot water heater on gas, no problem, then cycled the gas furnace, no problem. I am stumped, either T/trek is right and the valve needs to be opened slowly, or the regulator diaphram is lazy and needs pressure on it to center ????, heck I am not sure, this happened on our first trip out. Seems normal now, I tried it again this afternoon and its still ok, but I had not shut off the gas valve. I guess I will need to turn LP valve on about 1 day before heading out, Go Figure
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:21pm

If you trip the safety valve, it will release slowly so leaving it on overnight would give you full pressure.  

The only reason I know that you have to open the valve very slowly is my popup had a pressure gauge next to the tank - useless to tell how much is in the tank (I've said why in the past) but it will say if there is any pressure or not.  It was very easy to trip that safety valve.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply