R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUsing a 176T without opening the tent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using a 176T without opening the tent
    Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:58pm
Hey.  I have an RP172 right now and am seriously considering getting an RP176T.  Here's my only question:  Can the r-pods with the tent expansions be camped in comfortably without opening and unfolding the tent?  In other words, is the supporting hardware and material for the tent in the way of anything inside the pod when it is collapsed and closed, for instance, the dinette?  To further clarify (if it's still needed)... would I be able to use the dinette and/or the bed at that end if I arrived at a site late at night or in bad weather and could not or did not want to expand the tent?   Thanks so much in advance for your opinions on this.
2010 RP 172
2005 Infiniti FX45
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:28pm
Welcome.  Often this is called "turtling" in the hybrid world.  Looking forward to this answer...
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 4:34am
I can't speak to your question but, .....
Welcome to the group!
TylerB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 2:33pm
Hi Guys.  Thanks for the welcome!
2010 RP 172
2005 Infiniti FX45
conan42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 1:35pm
I would really like to know the answer to this as well.  No dealers near us have a "T" model.  We just want to know if the dinette is usable if we pull over to have lunch or whatever without having to set up the bed?  Also do you have to lay down the dinette each night before bed? There is so much great information on here, just want to make sure it is the camper for us before deciding.
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:25pm
I am really surprised you haven't had an answer yet.  I don't have a clue, but thought we must have members who do.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:27pm
I just looked at the poll, and so far no one has picked the tent models as what they camp in.  Sorry.
conan42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 7:02pm
I talked to a dealer today who said that the dinette is fully functional with only the canvas hanging inside.  He also said that many of his customers use bungee or strap to secure the canvas to the bed.  I would still like to see one before ordering or talk to someone one on here who has one.  I have seen a couple post that they have the "T" models.  I would think the support system is the same in all the "T" models.  
TylerB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 11:33pm
Thanks so much for the information!  I really appreciate you contacting that dealer.  That all makes sense and I can pretty much picture that in my mind.   

Based on photos I found on other sites, it looks like the dinette can remain set up as a dinette and the bed still be accessible at night.  In some photos, the bed is extended and the dinette table is up.   You would just climb through the bench seat to get to the big bed.  With the 2 bunks in the 176T, this would allow sleeping for 4.  In other photos, the dinette table was down with the cushions all flat providing sleeping space for one more person.  So, it looks like it can be either way.  I can find those photos and post them here if you'd like.   Thanks again everyone for the replies.  Let me know if you decided to get a T model.  I'm 99% certain I'll order one now and start using it this spring.
2010 RP 172
2005 Infiniti FX45
conan42 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 7:05am
If you could post those pictures that would be great.  When looking at the Forest River website at the 176t model pictures it looks as if the mattress is folded in half on the bed when the dinette is setup.  The dealer did say, however, that the bed could be set up and the dinette fully functional.  Hopefully we can find some other pictures besides the promotional shots.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>