Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping and travel safety
    Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 12:36am
Originally posted by dsmiths

...you cannot reason with a mama bear with cubs, you cannot outrun them, you cant out climb them, I think I will chose not to be where there are bears and or unruly, loud, drunk, stupid people, thats why they put wheels on the pod, get up and go to a better area.

Amen to that ^
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 3:37am
All I know is that I feel a lot better about my possessions being locked up in the Pod instead of a tent.  I had a situation in Virginia a couple of years ago.  The weekend I went tent camping there was also an off-road rally going on down the road.  Well, some of the folk there were a bit rowdy and unruly to say the least... and shady.  Well, in the middle of the night, a group of them came wandering across the field to my truck and tent and first tried my truck doors to see if I left them open (i.e. the snatch and grab) and then they proceeded to pack up my belongings outside the tent (i.e. folding chair and grill).  I woke up just in time and unzipped that tent so fast and scared the bejesus out of them so bad that they took off and ran for the hills.  Suffice to say, now, with the Pod I just bring in the folding chairs, put the Weber Q in the back of the truck and anything else they could grab.  I do believe the next thing those little bastards were going to do was sneak into my tent while I slept (that night, my pants and wallet were by the zipped up door Cry  ).  Anyway, I love this Pod for it's added security.  No need to meet and greet wrong-doers in the middle of the night with a surefire light cupped in my left hand and uh...  yeah.  I like having a dead bolt locked door between me and the crickets.  Smile  

I don't mean to scare anyone with this post and most of the time people are decent, but in the odd and rare occasion you may meet some gremlins.  I say do what you would outside your house, bring in anything of value.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 5:48am
When we camped in our van we had to leave something at the site to make sure no one was going to move in when we were gone.  I got lucky and never had anything taken.  Now the Pod is locked up on our site with everything inside when we are gone. 

We always take the dogs along, and they tend to let us know at night when anything is going on outside.  They were strangely quiet when the 7X7 elk was looking in the window at Rocky Mountain National Park.  So were we...
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by David

Not a problem.....we just need to get back on to camp'in and Pod'in. 

Pets......
I can't take credit for these ideas - other members actually spoke of them:

1.  Speaking of first aid supplies, don't forget our furry friends.  I am completely unqualified to advise in the matter but, you may want to speak with your veterenary doctor, during your next trip for suggestions for any additional items that might be "pet specific".  Cut paw pads, sprains, burns, ticks, ingesting something bad, etc.  It might be a long way to the nearest 24hr vet clinic.

2.  I had a collar tag made at the local pet supply store which has simply "Dixie" and below it, my cell phone number (with area code).  God forbid we get separated, hopefully someone close might see this and give me a call...maybe a fellow camper or Park Ranger.  While she is micro chipped, this will only work if/when she would end up someplace that has a chip reader.  This could be days or never. Cry 

When we were debating on taking the cats with us camping, we decided to use Banfield as a pet as they are in many Petsmart stores.  We figured that if worse came to worst, we would be able to get to a Banfield in a couple of hours where they would have access to their records in their system.  You're right, David, in the sense that we need to think about first aid for our pets.

I've been tempted in getting a tag like you have but will need to figure out how to get it on the harness.  Has anyone had any experience with https://www.pethub.com/ ?  I've seen them advertised on RVNN and was curious if anyone had used their services.

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:12am
I hadn't heard of that particular service.

I use "Home Again".  They provide a collar tag with an 800 number to call and then, they will contact me.  They also have the microchip info.  Her AKC tag works much the same.  With the AKC, I only had to pay once.  Home Again I have to renew (ie. pay) each year.

Poor Dixie....if I put any more tags on her she won't be able to walk (weight & bulk)! LOL
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:26pm
Just to add to the situational awareness suggestion, I would like to add TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. When you feel something is not right, leave. Sometimes being rational and too civilized works against us. I am thinking of a time we started to camp in an  empty campground. Shortly after we arrived the old trucks and muscle cars started pulling into a site just across from ours and the cases of beer started appearing. We threw the tent and the kids back in the car and got out. I have never regretted leaving that night even though it was dark and we were all tired.
As for dogs, well our Sally used to bark at anything around the house, the paperboy, the mailman, squirrels, stray cats, people walking their dogs on her sidewalk, etc. When Sally was camping she sat watching a deer for twenty minutes, never said a word about a fox that ran through the campsite and regarded with great interest a bear eating the bacon our son had been cooking. The moose mom and baby in the site next to us were just part of the scenery. Either she thought we should be able to smell them as well as she could and therefore know they were there or she felt it was their home, not hers and was keeping a low profile. I hope she would have barked at people but I'm not sure...
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:43pm
One of the funniest stories I ever heard was about 25 years ago when this old timer about my age, 62 said he used to have a small class c camper with some age on it and the black water tank developed a leak, because he only used it a few times a year for deer hunting he converted one of the 2 fuel tanks to the black water holding tank, you know whats coming. he said about 2 in the morning while camping in the Harrison Crawford forest he heard a noise outside, the next morning he found a gas can, and a hose run down into the fuel tank he had converted to the black water holding tank and a pile of Puke next to the can, he said " I still have that gas can " I swear I laughed for 2 weeks. , you never know what kind of Idiot will approach your camp, Stay safe, and like earlier posts, trust your gut, its ok to leave and find another spot or camping area, I like it when there are other (normal) people around, but not to close. Happy Poddin
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:06pm
Our 2011 RP-172 only has 2 windows on the side toward the rear and one window on the very back, you cannot see anything out of the front where the bunks are, or on the right or left where the kitchen and head are, has any one put a peep hole in the door to see outside before opening the door, I guess most house type are maybe 1.5 or 2 inches through. It would be nice to see who is outside before opening the door.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:25am
Originally posted by dsmiths

the next morning he found a gas can, and a hose run down into the fuel tank he had converted to the black water holding tank and a pile of Puke next to the can

Now that's funny!
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 9:32am
Great story!!  I wonder if the perpetrator ever reflects on that moment in time.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>