Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: I like this camper - Chalet Takena
    Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:55am
Dang it, I do NOT need a new camper! 

But I really like this layout.  The exterior length is about the same as the 171 (5 inches longer), the exterior height and width are smaller (but I think the Takena's height doesn't include the A/C), and the weight is slightly higher.  Interior height is 2 inches smaller.  Grey/black tanks are the same but this only holds 25 gallons of fresh water. 

But note that this has a much larger fridge, dry bath, and always-available dinette.  I like that they save space by reusing the edge of the bed as one seat for the dinette - but that opinion may change the first time a drink is spilled onto the bed.  The kids won't fight over who has more room in bed since they'll have their own, and I will only have to climb over my wife's feet and not her whole body when I need to get up in the middle of the night.

Don't need it, don't need it, don't need it.....  Cry

I looked over the various "lightweight" FR models and didn't see one similar.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
g4royce View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 2:46pm
Your kids don't like to sleep in the r-dome?  How about adding a convertible/removable bunk bed over the dinette?

The Chalet looks nice, but again, it's more weight.
ChaiPod
2009 RP152
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:39pm
The specs are very close to this

But the floor plan is different

I'm thinking about removing the bench seat close to the door - just for more "elbow room".
At 7' wide, it is actually wider than the Pod's 6'8" (if memory serves).  However, the "track" (distance between the wheels) is more narrow, as the wheels are underneath the 7' box.  The squared off back allows for a dry bath and a "roomier" feel, to me.

Did you look ar FR's "Surveyor Sport" line?  I liked those...similar specs......but no dealer close by. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 4:52pm
PS - with 4 wheels on the ground on an 18' trailer.....sway....no way!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:29pm

Adding an additional platform over the dinette is a good option - and much cheaper!  Although that would be something additional to maneuver and store if we want to use the dinette (which isn't often).

I just double-checked the SS line and the two 18 foot models are similar to yours - no dedicated dinette.  I'm surprised the Takena has dual axles considering it is so light.  

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
If you fill up with fresh water, food, cooking equipment, etc & etc it would be over 3,500 pounds.  They say any vehicle with a 3,500 pound towing limit can pull it.Shocked

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:01am
    I like the layout, the only thing I am not sure of what is a TPO vinyl roof ?
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 1:26pm
Good question.  I found this article which has some really good info:

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Adding an additional platform over the dinette is a good option - and much cheaper!  Although that would be something additional to maneuver and store if we want to use the dinette (which isn't often).

I just double-checked the SS line and the two 18 foot models are similar to yours - no dedicated dinette.  I'm surprised the Takena has dual axles considering it is so light.  

In mine, the dinette benches are "fixed" and do not move (both have storage).  The table has 2 permanent flanges mounted to the floor with 2 removable upright tubes that support the table top.  These tubes can be removed from the flanges and table top and the dinette could be made into a bed, though I have never done so.  The idea of spanning a platform between the top of the benches for a second (bunk) bed never occured to me....it's a good idea.  But, like you say, it would be something else to deal with.

For your situation, what you are looking at is a better floorplan than mine.....it's already ready for the kids.  I agree with Terry, by the time you add on some options and your stuff, you'll likely be over 3000lbs.  Mine is 3018lbs as you see it above but, empty propane tanks, no battery, no fluids in the holding tanks and no "stuff".  I don't notice a big difference in pulling this vs. my old RP173.

Although mine was advertized as 27 gallon fresh water capacity, the tank is really only 20 gallons - according to my measurements and volume calculations.  20 plus 6 in the water heater plus about a gallon in the plumbing lines.  Many manufacturers seem to do this.  With that said, if I'm frugal, I can stretch this 3 days.  Until I get around to upsizing the tank, I carry a couple of 6 gallon water jugs and top off the fresh water, as needed.    I would suspect the one you are looking at probably has a 20 gallon tank.

Personally, I'm casually looking for a small lightweight 5th wheel.  So far about the only thing under 25' is the Scamp - which I think is kind of short on ammenities. 
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:18pm
Have a lock at the escape, I found them to pricey, but very nice. escapetrailer.com
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>