FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlaying with pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing with pictures
    Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 5:25am

Did you ever have one of those "why didn't I think of this sooner" moments?  I finally figured out a somewhat simple way to resize my photos on my own PC - not using one of the web sites like photobucket.  In the past I would have to crop/save, crop/save/ crop/save forever until I finally got something that was about 1/4 of the original picture - in order to get under the 500KB required.  Then I would have ro resize it to "fit" well in the posted page, once uploaded.

As I was sipping my morning coffee, it hit me..........open the picture in MS Paint.......it has an easy resize function!  ( I am using MS Vista - other OS will vary) Here's how I did it:

Mouse your pointer to the picture you want to post and right click the file/thumbnail- a submenu will appear -
Left click "Paint"-

The picture will open in MS Paint.  On the top toolbar:
Left click "Image" and a submenu will appear-
Left click resize and a submenu will appear-

The above pictures are 25%, 20% and, 23% descending down the page (I like 23%).  Pick the size you want and then click "OK".

I then click on "file", then "save as"

My pictures are numbered, such as; 100_0034.  I save the resized picture with a different file name, such as; 100_0034z - in order to preserve the original.

The above picture was 1.49MB, as it came from the camera.  The bottom resize (23%) is 158KB, the top resize (25%) is 171KB!  Well under the 500KB limit.

You can compare this with the original post/picture here:

Here's another:

And the original:

And another:

And the original post:
Maybe my posted pictures won't look so bad, in the future.  I'll be able to show the whole picture - not just 1/4 of the original....and it's WAY less effort! Smile

Goose View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 12:10pm
    I use HP Photosmart in our laptop, once I figured out how to use it.  Confused  Goose 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 12:34pm
I still struggle getting pics uploaded here. Then again   ...I am trying to upload from an iPad which makes it a little tricky.

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 1:20pm
David, the mountain photos are gorgeous.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 8:47pm
Windows XP has a tool in "Picture Manager" under "Picture" called "Compress Pictures" that compresses automatically to one of three different sizes. The "web pages" size works well for posting in the forum. Just be sure to save the photo in the new size with a different name and upload that file to the forum. A typical photo compresses to 50-60 kb. There should be a similar function in other versions of Windows.

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 2:45pm
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and use the batch picture function.  I can resize a folder full of pictures to what ever dimensions or several other options.  I love it.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Windows XP has a tool in "Picture Manager" under "Picture" called "Compress Pictures" that compresses automatically to one of three different sizes. The "web pages" size works well for posting in the forum. Just be sure to save the photo in the new size with a different name and upload that file to the forum. A typical photo compresses to 50-60 kb. There should be a similar function in other versions of Windows.

Yet another reason I miss XP.  I haven't stumbled across a similar function in Vista.  All I have found so far is a function that sets the "save quality" of photos - low, med, high - with corresponding file sizes.  I have mine set to low and may try bumping it up to med to see if it makes any difference in quality - while remaining under 500KB.

I use the Kodak Easy Share software that came with the camera but can easily drag them to MS, if I want.  I have heard mixed reviews on Windows 7.

So, now that we have established that many of you know how to post pictures, may I ask

Where are your camping pictures??????LOL
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 4:01pm
David asks: Where are your camping pictures??????

Check "Winter Camping French Creek,PA"!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

David asks: Where are your camping pictures??????

Check "Winter Camping French Creek,PA"!

I did when first posted......cool & thank you!!!  I've been busy with home projects and haven't had a lot of computer time at home to reply as much as I would like.   It's great that some of you are still getting out.  If only it weren't so far away.............
bobthrash View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 12:23am
Check out our campsite last summer..
Bob & Maureen
2006 Tundra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>