R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBrake inspection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake inspection?
    Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 11:56am
After reading quite a few comments from Pod owners about defective brakes, especially having to replace nearly new drums...when I bring the Pod in for service this coming spring...is there any specific notification I should give the service department about the drums?
I plan on doing a few long distance trips with the Pod and don't want the hassle of having to try to find a dealer and parts while gone.
Can a service department determine whether or not a set of brakes (drums) are defective or going bad before the problem gets so bad that it is obvious?

Quite a few forum members have commented that while they were on a trip...they had brake problems.  They then had to try to find a dealer who could fix it.  Some repair shops did not have the parts and had to order them...owners were lucky if the parts showed up after two weeks.

I won't have two weeks to spare out on the road, waiting for the brakes to be fixed (if I can help it). Preventive maintenance?

HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 5:18pm
We have gone 25,000 miles with no brake problems. I was unaware the Pods had brake problems. Where did you read this? I would like to review this information. I am planning on having our brakes adjusted, but they work fine.
photog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 12:55am
Originally posted by HerbL

We have gone 25,000 miles with no brake problems. I was unaware the Pods had brake problems. Where did you read this? I would like to review this information. I am planning on having our brakes adjusted, but they work fine.

If you towed your unit for 25 000 miles without brake problems you don't have a problem and all that is needed is regular annual maintenance.

Our problem was from day one, probably due to improper long term (outside) storage of the axles before assembly. The drums were very badly rusted and pitted in just one spot, (an area about 3") and should have been replaced under warranty. It's a long story, had them turned to correct the problem during a 15 000 km road trip and Forest River denied the claim because turning the drums voids the warranty.

Heinrich and Elly
2010 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
2010 Prime Time Tracer 205M
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:29pm
  Like photog mentions, a yearly inspection should show if there is an issue that needs to be taken care off. You should check to see what kind of axle your POD has (ours is a Dexter axle) that way if you do have a problem on the road you can always find a trailer dealer that sells your kind of axle and should have the parts on hand without going to a RV dealer that may not have any parts on hand.
  I went on-line to Dexter axle and found a trailer dealer nearby that has everything you need in stock to fully rebuild or replace the whole brake assembly, hub and hub seals and bearings.   Goose 

Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
 Post Reply Post Reply