This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHalloween sold out.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halloween sold out.
    Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:22pm
Hey as a just recently TT owner, We were going to try to get in maybe one or two more runs in before doing the winterization. In Indiana you can go into the DNR websites and look at camp grounds and see what is open, everything is sold out, O bannon woods , clifty falls, Hoosier Nat Forest, is this common ? I called and talked to one camp host that says they sell out early on Halloween. I think maybe the next week is open but Gee, thats the first week in November, so what " We got Heat"
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 10:30pm
It must be the leaves changing colors. We went through that a few weeks ago here in Minnesota. Drive by the campgrounds now and you can pick your site. I went to Dakota Meadows last Monday to have the final campfire and winterize  things and there was a lot of standing water in the park when I went to register they said they had just blown out and turned off the water lines for the season. I stayed the night and pulled her into storage the next day. Happy camping is done for the season. Looking forward to next year. I hope you can get a couple more weekends in before its over.

Steve
sjf
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 7:06am
Originally posted by dsmiths

Hey as a just recently TT owner, We were going to try to get in maybe one or two more runs in before doing the winterization. In Indiana you can go into the DNR websites and look at camp grounds and see what is open, everything is sold out, O bannon woods , clifty falls, Hoosier Nat Forest, is this common ? I called and talked to one camp host that says they sell out early on Halloween. I think maybe the next week is open but Gee, thats the first week in November, so what " We got Heat"

Yep, it's common.  All of the Holidays sell out early.  Book early if you want a good site.  They accept reservations up to 6 months in advance.

Brown County is open year round but, I can't remember if they leave water on anywhere.  My guess is no.  However, you would have electricity.  Buffalo Ridge (the first campground you come to) has paved parking spurs but be sure to check the lenght.....several would not accomodate any size RV.  They'll be busy until the leaf-peepers are gone, however.  I like sites 93 & 94 (I think) - they are at the end of the loop with a little "elbow room".

Most Parks will leave one loop "open" but you are pretty much "on your own".  Shades is not going to have anything open this winter.

Starve Hollow has some primitive (no hook ups)sites open for the Holloween weekend:

I like the place.  It rarely fills (except on holidays).  It is s small park with a lake.  However, they are working on the lake right now.  The Jackson-Washington State Forest is a couple of miles up the road if you want more hiking.   I last stayed there Labor Day weekend.  Good luck!

PS - I should mention that they stop taking reservations on 10-31 (if memory serves).  If you search a date in Nov - Dec (for example) all the sites will show "full". 
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 9:05am
We're heading to Lowden State Park in Oregon, Illinois this weekend.  The campground shuts down on the 1st, so we know that we'll have water for the weekend.  From there we'll take it to Collier RV to have them winterize it and possibly store it on their property for the winter.  

The place we were going to go to last weekend was a KOA in Kankakee which showed as being full for their Halloween weekend.  We ended up not going as I had to get the TV into the shop to have the brakes worked on so I don't know if they had shut down part of the park or not to show it being filled up.

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 9:09am
With Halloween being the last weekend for a lot of campgrounds and because most have some pretty big activities going on, they are always booked up pretty far in advance.

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 10:32am
Fall colors, any good campground has great activities for kids, last weekend for many camp grounds.. all conspire to fill em up early..

However.. try asking for a site without water and electricity.. you have a small TT, smaller than some TENTS.. hint hint..

Otter Creek doesn't have any elec/water site available.. but MANY tent no hook up sites.. hint hint..
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 9:31pm
thanks steve, i am hoping also.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
 Post Reply Post Reply