Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 2:55pm
I got a flyer from Cabela's a few days ago, and they had a sale on a Champion 3500 generator this weekend.  I read a bunch of reviews on the web, and they were nearly all positive. I had a bunch of Cabelas points, and a discount coupon, so today I went down and looked at then bought one.  It is designed to be used on an RV (110 V 30 A) and fits neatly in the bed of my truck.  It is not as quiet as the $2500 Honda, but is lots quieter than my other generator, and my lawnmower.  The Pod is in storage, but we tried it on the neighbor's trailer and it runs his air easily (his is 13.5K BTU as well). Sale price was $319, and with discounts and points I paid a little more than $200.  I can hardly wait til spring to try this out.

Keith
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 4:40pm
Good deal!Smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Keith-N-Dar

I got a flyer from Cabela's a few days ago, and they had a sale on a Champion 3500 generator this weekend.  I read a bunch of reviews on the web, and they were nearly all positive. I had a bunch of Cabelas points, and a discount coupon, so today I went down and looked at then bought one.  It is designed to be used on an RV (110 V 30 A) and fits neatly in the bed of my truck.  It is not as quiet as the $2500 Honda, but is lots quieter than my other generator, and my lawnmower.  The Pod is in storage, but we tried it on the neighbor's trailer and it runs his air easily (his is 13.5K BTU as well). Sale price was $319, and with discounts and points I paid a little more than $200.  I can hardly wait til spring to try this out.Keith

============

Curious which Honda generator you were looking at that cost $2500 ?

MK
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 8:08pm
who needs a camp ground when you have 3500 watts of juice and 35 gallons of fresh water on board. I can almost smell the baked potato in the convection oven getting ready to be served with the fresh caught blue gill fried up on the stove dregged in Kentucky Colonels seasoned flour and home made tarter sauce, I cant wait for spring. so far we only have got to use our 172 once, we bought it 1.5 weeks ago, we may still get a chance if southern indiana weather holds out.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Footslogger03

I got a flyer from Cabela's a few days ago, and they had a sale on a Champion 3500 generator this weekend.  I read a bunch of reviews on the web, and they were nearly all positive. I had a bunch of Cabelas points, and a discount coupon, so today I went down and looked at then bought one.  It is designed to be used on an RV (110 V 30 A) and fits neatly in the bed of my truck.  It is not as quiet as the $2500 Honda, but is lots quieter than my other generator, and my lawnmower.  The Pod is in storage, but we tried it on the neighbor's trailer and it runs his air easily (his is 13.5K BTU as well). Sale price was $319, and with discounts and points I paid a little more than $200.  I can hardly wait til spring to try this out.Keith

============

MK

I don't recall the model number.  It is the one the local dealer told me I needed to run the air.  Cabela's had a similar one with a similar price today.  Ultra quiet but way to expensive for me.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 6:46am
Originally posted by dsmiths

who needs a camp ground when you have 3500 watts of juice and 35 gallons of fresh water on board. I can almost smell the baked potato in the convection oven getting ready to be served with the fresh caught blue gill fried up on the stove dregged in Kentucky Colonels seasoned flour and home made tarter sauce, I cant wait for spring. so far we only have got to use our 172 once, we bought it 1.5 weeks ago, we may still get a chance if southern indiana weather holds out.

Come on down here and we can have a cook out!Tongue

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 11:10am

============

MK
I don't recall the model number.  It is the one the local dealer told me I needed to run the air.  Cabela's had a similar one with a similar price today.  Ultra quiet but way to expensive for me.

============

Ahh     ...I thought you were talking about price, not model number. We are seriously comsidering the Honda 2000. Just not sure which 2000 configuration to get. Leaning toward the "Companion" model because it has a built-in 30 Amp outlet and I wouldn't need an adapter.

MJ
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:37pm

Ahh     ...I thought you were talking about price, not model number. We are seriously comsidering the Honda 2000. Just not sure which 2000 configuration to get. Leaning toward the "Companion" model because it has a built-in 30 Amp outlet and I wouldn't need an adapter.

MJ

If you buy the 2000 and companion, with the cross link cables, and pay retail, you will be darn close to $2500 out the door. Just looked at that set up at CW last weekend while hunting. As far as the adapter goes for a standard 120 plug.. you should have one. and a 50A-30A dogbone. And an 30A extension cord. Better to buy it now, then need one at 8pm in Winnemuca when you find out it's 40 feet to the post.. which doesn't have a working 30A fixture.. happens.

The main reason I would want a genny would be to run the A/C.. and niether of the Honda 2000's will do that by themselves. There is a mod you can do to the A/C that will sometimes work, but over on the 'stream forums, it seems to be about 50/50 on getting reliable starting even after the A/C mod and a single 2000..

Of course many of those people are running older A/C units then podders too..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by furpod

MJ
If you buy the 2000 and companion, with the cross link cables, and pay retail, you will be darn close to $2500 out the door. Just looked at that set up at CW last weekend while hunting. As far as the adapter goes for a standard 120 plug.. you should have one. and a 50A-30A dogbone. And an 30A extension cord. Better to buy it now, then need one at 8pm in Winnemuca when you find out it's 40 feet to the post.. which doesn't have a working 30A fixture.. happens.The main reason I would want a genny would be to run the A/C.. and niether of the Honda 2000's will do that by themselves. There is a mod you can do to the A/C that will sometimes work, but over on the 'stream forums, it seems to be about 50/50 on getting reliable starting even after the A/C mod and a single 2000..Of course many of those people are running older A/C units then podders too..

===============

Are you sure about the Hnoda 2000 being inadequate for the A/C unit ? That's contrary to what I was hearing. I know that you could not run the A/C and Microwave at the same time on a 2000 but I was pretty certain that the Honda 2000 could power the A/C.

MJ
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 2:56pm
Pretty sure.. won't start mine. Buddy has the whole set up, we tried it, and no it wouldn't. Ran just fine when both units where cross connected.

The "advantage" to the 2000i and companion is that, if you don't need the A/C, then you can take just one, smaller, eaiser to handle unit, only taking both units if you want A/C.. I only want to use a genny FOR A/C.. so have looked into it pretty hard. The 3000i WILL run the A/C.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>