Topic ClosedNeed Math Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Math Help
    Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 8:33am
I want to bend a 2X2 into an arc.  The finished length, tip to tip would be 8'.  The top of the curve would be 3' higher than the ends.  How long would the 2X2 have to be?

FYI:  I'm designing a teardrop camper for sleeping only and pulled with my motorized bicycle.  The 2X2's would form the roof, spaced 2' apart.  I plan on steam heating the 2X2's then put them in a jig to hold the arch until they are dried.  Then they will stay that way.

Terry 
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 8:51am
Need more info on shape of the arc, how verticle you intend to be coming off the trailer, and do you want to come all the way back down to the trailer in the rear, or have a lifted boattail shape..

BTW.. steam bending a kiln dried 2x2 *probably* wont work. I will say I have never tried it, but I have done some steam bending, and kiln dried lumber has it's lignin set by the heat of drying, tends to shatter rather than bend, a small bit it will take, the curve you are talking.. doubtful. Maybe a better plan to use either a lamination (you are going to build a jig anyways.. or cut from sheet goods(what I would do).

Most teardrop builds support the roof with rafters running from the sidewalls..

Some good info here: http://www.teardrops.net  even some plans pages in there somewheres..
Footslogger03 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 9:36am
I would skip the math and build a "model" out of a strip of malleable metal like aluminum or copper. Once you've done that you've got the length number and also a helpful "form" to use for creating other parts of the design.

Just a thought   ...

MJ
Livin' the Dream    ...'Slogger
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 9:50am
It's very simple really.  Draw a flat line the is 8' long.  Go to the center of that line.  Go up 3'.  Now draw a line from both ends up to the 3' mark.  There is the curve.

Steam bending isn't very difficult really.  It takes either 1 hour per inch thickness or 2 hours per 1" thickness.  All I need is a PVC pipe and 2 end caps, steam source and connecting hose.  I have everything except the pipe.

I will be using 4 24" bicycle tires with 12 gauge spokes.  The back end will open up to get in.  It will have 2 air vents and an LED light inside.  Maybe a window.  One option is a mount on the inside wall for a 9mm handgun.

Terry
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 10:01am
   Terry would you be able to take a length of wire 12 to 18 inch's in length, bend it to the shape you would like the trailer, then multiply that by 12. If you were to cut strips of thin plywood and glue them together would that give you more strength.          David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by David and Danette

Terry would you be able to take a length of wire 12 to 18 inch's in length, bend it to the shape you would like the trailer, then multiply that by 12. If you were to cut strips of thin plywood and glue them together would that give you more strength.          David

Sandwiched plywood would be stronger.  If I had a table saw it would be easier also.  But I don't.  I only have a hand saw.  The 2X2's are cheap and more than strong enough.  The top and sides would have 2X2 studs in them.  The whole thing would be covered with very thin paneling with a plywood floor.  Covering the outside, over the paneling would be aluminum or some type of plastic sheet.

Remember this is something to be pulled by a 2hp. motorized bicycle and it would only be for sleeping.  Nothing else.  The inside width is only 24".

Terry
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 5:50pm

I'm claustrophobic myself and it sounds too much like a coffin to me!  24" wide?  I'm hyperventilating already.

But seriously, Terry - good luck!  I have faith that you and the techies here on the forum will figure it out.  Just out of curiosity, I'll stay posted on your progress.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 6:02pm
Well, I never was very good at cypher'in (unlike Jethro Bodine) but....

My neighbors just sold their popup and bought a home made "teardrop" sort of trailer ...but it is square.  A fellow got it about 95% done and then decided not to finish.  Their main interest is in caving (I say "caving" because I don't know how to spell the word "spelunker") but, they camp when caving.

Anyway, their camper has 1/4" luan plywood for the roof and walls and they painted it with a water proof epoxy paint - black and yellow with bats all over it (it really looks kind of cool).  Though a bit larger than what you have in mind, maybe the luan/epoxy paint might be worth a thought.  Good luck and keep us posted!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 7:36pm
I was planning on using Luan but I couldn't think of the name of it!LOL  On the inside, between the studs I will put that spray foam stuff.  It should be cozy!  It might take a year to make it.  I'm in no hurry.  I was think of making the front axle like what a kid's wagon is.  That way it will follow the bike in turns a lot easier.  Then again it might not have front wheels.  Just a push down set of legs to stabilize it when I'm inside. 

Terry
pentachris View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 8:19pm
I actually did the trigonometry to find the radius of the circle and the angle subtended by the arc because I figured I'd need it to plug into an arc calculator. Should've googled first. The arc will be 10.72502' in length. (My calculated values for angle and radius plugged in worked out to 10.72513', with a 8.00007' width and a 3.00004' height, FWIW (which is nothing, really...)).

arc calculator linkage (edited to correct)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>