FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJust curious

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just curious
    Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 1:56pm
I am wondering if anyone has tried or is using the "artificial" fire logs.  I watched an episode of "How it's Made", on the Science Channel and they showed a company making logs only from compressing sawdust - no other ingredients.  They said one could even use these for cooking.  In what little research I have done there seems to be others that are made of sawdust/petrolium or sawdust/vegetable oils.  There also seem to be some that are made of coffee grounds!

While more $$$ per log than conventional wood, they are supposed to burn longer with less polution.  Plus it's a use of an otherwise waste product. Ying Yang
sfish View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 2:12pm
What brand are you using? The logs that I tried had a waxy feel and smell to them. I would give em a try if they are all natural.
sjf
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:21pm
I haven't tried any yet.  Just looking to see if maybe some of you have and what your thoughts on them are.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:47pm
I use the smallest ones they make as fire starters but thats it.  Have toyed with the notion of saving leftover candles and old dried coffee grounds to make my own though.  But that seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 7:19am

I use these for fire starters.  They are wax and sawdust "bricks".  Usually 1/2 "brick" is enough to get things going.
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:28am
We used to use the logs in our home fireplace but have never tired them outside. I too would like to hear more about using these.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 12:38pm
I use the same ones as David to light my fires, but I only use 1/4 of a "brick".  If anyone knows what the brand name is of the "all sawdust" logs, let us know.  I personally won't try them at home since I burn 4 cord of real logs every winter, but it might be worthwhile to stash a few of these in the pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 2:27pm
Nothing beats real wood for the fire, especially if you're cooking with it.  I'd bet that most of those fake-log products do have some type of oil or excellerent in them, something I'd not want mixing with my food.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by this_is_nascar

Nothing beats real wood for the fire, especially if you're cooking with it. 
Agree with you about cooking with wood. I always do, unless the weather is just too bad.
  I'd bet that most of those fake-log products do have some type of oil or excellerent in them, something I'd not want mixing with my food.
Yep, me too.  I can taste it in the food even if my "starter brick" hasn't completely burned.  That's why the ones on the TV show caught my attention.  Apparently they are 100% sawdust that is compressed under very high pressure - so high that the stuff "fuses" together.

I also agree with Tech, I may not use them 100% of the time, but it would be nice to carry a few - when wood is not handy or I'm too tired to go get it or it's too late, etc.   
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by techntrek

I use the same ones as David to light my fires, but I only use 1/4 of a "brick".  If anyone knows what the brand name is of the "all sawdust" logs, let us know.  I personally won't try them at home since I burn 4 cord of real logs every winter, but it might be worthwhile to stash a few of these in the pod.

Hmmmm.....I'll give 1/4 of a brick a try.  I could then get 160 campfires out of a box!  I thought I was being frugal using 1/2 brick. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>