Topic ClosedJust curious

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just curious
    Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:49pm
We heat the house with a woodstove.. we use these in the early late season to start fires, 1/4 is all you need.. (from mid-November to end of February, the stove doesn't go out on purpose)

http://www.supercedar.com/

I put a few in the camper just in case I am in a hurry, usually just start a fire the boyscout way..

But a while back I noticed those logs and thought they might be kind of cool for the campground.. may get some for next trip..

iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 12:20am
I make my own fire starters...that way I know exactly what's in them.
I buy eggs in the cardboard/paper cartons, not the styrofoam ones. 
I do lots of wood working so I have LOTS of saw dust.  I sweep every so often and empty my saw bag into a bucket.  Once a year, usually in the winter, I fill the egg carton bottoms with saw dust then pour melted wax slowly into each 'cup'.  Once the wax has cooled I take a razor and cut apart the cups.  Each 'cup' makes a perfect fire starter.  I place it in the middle of the fire pit, build up the wood from twigs to the logs.  One match on the fire starter and I have a blazing fire in no time.  Now that's a cheap fire starter!  Some people make these with dryer lint, but I prefer the saw dust.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 5:04am
Originally posted by iamsmonk

I make my own fire starters...that way I know exactly what's in them.
I buy eggs in the cardboard/paper cartons, not the styrofoam ones. 
I do lots of wood working so I have LOTS of saw dust.  I sweep every so often and empty my saw bag into a bucket.  Once a year, usually in the winter, I fill the egg carton bottoms with saw dust then pour melted wax slowly into each 'cup'.  Once the wax has cooled I take a razor and cut apart the cups.  Each 'cup' makes a perfect fire starter.  I place it in the middle of the fire pit, build up the wood from twigs to the logs.  One match on the fire starter and I have a blazing fire in no time.  Now that's a cheap fire starter!  Some people make these with dryer lint, but I prefer the saw dust.

Cool stuff!  
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2011 at 8:29am
We've used 100% compressed sawdust "bricks" in the past.  The only disadvantage is that they must be kept completely dry. If they get wet the sawdust expands and the bricks disintegrate back into sawdust. 

I guess this is what the wax in the other types of artificial log prevents.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 9:11pm
I use the same type of starter log as David.  But to tell you the truth the very best fires I've ever lit when camping is when I've used a small pile of self-starting charcoal for the bottom of the fire, then piled on kindling and small logs.  The charcoal gives the fire a really good red-hot bottom which is really great for roasting marshmallows.  And of course, if the charcoal is safe for your steak, it's gotta be safe for marshmallows!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:16pm
The self-starting charcoal is a good idea, i've seen it done many times at the campground.  But I personally cannot stand the smell of the built in lighter fluid. 
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by iamsmonk

The self-starting charcoal is a good idea, i've seen it done many times at the campground.  But I personally cannot stand the smell of the built in lighter fluid. 

Yeah, thank goodness that smell doesn't last.  If you start cooking before that smell is gone, your steak will taste like lighter fluid!  My husband learned that lesson the hard way.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12