R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow long will a new Rpod last?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: How long will a new Rpod last?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 12:07pm
If I take good care of a brand new rpod, how long should it last me in Dallas, TX? I know it's a hard question but I'm curious if it'll last 5 yrs or 20 yrs.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:13pm
No way to answer truthfully. They have not been out long enough to have a comparison point. I have seen TT's that are 2 years old and ruined, and TT's that are 30-40-50 years old that are in perfect shape. But that is because over the years somebody repaired anything that went wrong and cared for them.

There is no reason to think it won't last a long time if you take care of it, but, taking care of anything is relative.. What I think is "taking care" of stuff is different than my baby brothers. My "stuff" lasts longer.

Going to cover it? Store it inside? Do you have kids? Dogs? Are you going to camp in small off road campgrounds, or only in big resort types with good roads and utilities? 10 nights a year? or 100...?
mt868 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:31pm
mt868 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 2:34pm
I'll store it outside. No cover. I camp in middle of the road camp grounds with water and electric. No four-wheeling or luxury resorts either.

There are some trees that give it some shade. No dogs. Just me, my wife, and 2 1/2 yr old boy. Non-smoker. I will go about 20 times/yr. Average of 1-3 nights per trip.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 4:53pm
   Living in south Florida with the sunlight as strong as it is, protecting your trailer, boat or car from direct sunlight is one of the best things you can do to extend the life of it. You living in Texas I would recommend some kind of protection from the sun for your Rpod. I have seen vehicles lose a lot of value because of the damage from the sun. Other than that if a Rpod is well cared for I think it could last 20 years or more. I had a neighbor with Boler fiberglass trailer, I think it was over 30 years old. Hope this helps.     David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 5:51pm
I would just echo what the others have said.  Care & maintenance count for a lot.  Also, some people seem to be just "hard" on things and tear them up quickly - others not.  My "guesstimate" would be - with reasonable care & maintenance and typical use you should get 10-20....BUT, there will be some things that will need repair/replacement along the way.  Again, this is just a wild shot in the dark....very situational specific.
sfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 6:13pm
Airplanes are mostly made out of the same aluminum the roof on the pods are made of and there are many 50 year old small planes in the air .They do have mandatory maintance required but if you take care of your pod it will last a long time.
sjf
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 12:02pm
Going by modern engineering practices, since the extended factory warranty lasts to year 2, it will last about 2 1/2 years.  Only half kidding.

I expect the pods to last decades.  The big question mark is how long the exterior shell will last before it needs a major overhaul.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 2:24pm

I'll go out on a limb and suggest (since you're asking for opinions) that the R-Pod will last about the least amount of time compared to similar campers.  I say that based on the construction and installation of the units I've seen and my own personal experiences with my 2010 RP-151.  As others have mentioned, continued maintenance and up-keep will always extend the life of any product.

"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:47pm
I think that the caulking/sealant  used at the seams will deteriorate if constantly exposed to the sun (heat and UV).  Don't forget the sealant on the roof surrounding the AC, vent, and antenna.  Your RV store may have a UV protectant you can apply to the sealant to prolong it. Using an RV wash/wax product will also help preserve the paint on the exterior.
Keeping the interior floor and cabinet tops clean will go a long way in helping the inside looking new.
I found that I had to use a UV sealant protectant on my previous Forest River RV at least twice a year to keep the roof sealants from deteriorating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>