Topic ClosedFirst real trip with the pod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: First real trip with the pod
    Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:32pm
So after picking up the R-Pod this summer from Ohio, and giving it a one night trial run at a local campground (that was much nicer than I expected btw...I'll be going back), I finally spent the weekend in the pod with the family.

We hauled it up to Shanendoah National Park for a 3 day weekend, and everything went great.  The new Explorer had no problems hauling it up the hills (2011 Explorer V6), and once at the grounds everything went more or less smoothly.  We had 4 sites reserved for our group, and the first site I picked out was so unlevel that  when I unhooked the TV from the pod the camper rolled forward about a foot.  This was WITH wheel chaulks and all 4 leveling jacks down.  It actually rolled the front two backwards..thankfully they seem undamaged.  I need to inspect them further though.  Anyway, after that fiasco I moved to a more level site and set up.

The R-Dome worked great, and kept everything under it dry during the rainstorm the night before we left.  Now I've got to unpack it so it can dry out though..bummer.  However, I did set it up by myself in about 15 minutes, no big deal.  The hot water felt fantastic, as we used the pod for showers (and baths for the little one), the furnace worked perfectly, and the pod got tons of looks.  I saw at least 3 people taking pictures of it, had one more ask me about it, and apparently while I was out on a hike with the kid and the dog my wife was unable to take a nap in it because groups of people were walking by checking it out (they kept waking her up).

The only "problem" we had was that the smoke detector went off after having the propane lantern on inside for 10-15 minutes.  Wouldn't have been bad except it woke the baby up, and that's never a good thing.  Not sure why it went off, heat maybe?  Who knows. 

Anyway, all told we were thrilled with the camper.  We learned a few things too...we are due to return in October for another 3 day weekend, and this time I'm packing our bags and other various items (non-food related of course) into bins we can store out under the dome.  We had to much stuff stacked on the floor and it made walking around inside a little cramped.  Aside from that though, couldn't be much happier with it.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 8:00am
Glad you had a good trip, Fishtail.  I have to take the battery out of the smoke alarm when I cook.  It almost always goes off.  But that's about my only complaint.  And using bins outside is a great idea to give you more room.  Happy Podding!
Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:11am
When we cook inside, we open the window behind the stove a bit, and then turn the fantastic fan on "medium".. works like a charm. So far we have only set our detector off once, and that was with the toaster, warming some pop-tarts.. the toaster hadn't been used in about 3 years.. we figure that had as much to do with it as the pop-tarts...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 1:03pm
Glad to hear you had a good time camping at Shenandoah.  Be careful about the month of October, however.  Rumor has it that there will be a weird guy with a wolf terrorizing the place!  Star
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 12:13am
LOL.  Which weekend are you going, and where in the park are you staying?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 5:29pm
I'd have to check the reservation but, mid- October, mid-week and I'll be there for 3 nights (I think).
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 12:42pm
Ah, we are also mid-October, but definitely not mid week.  We are a Friday-Sunday deal ourselves..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 2:09pm
Perhaps, by then, it will be safe.....either before of after Dixie and I have run amok LOL.

I forgot to mention that I will be giving Big Meadows a try.  A couple of our fellow members like it and posted some nice pictures.  I have done Loft Mountain, in the past....it's OK; not really good or bad.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 2:56pm
Big Meadows is pretty nice.  E-loop is where most of the premier spots are, but the bathrooms are nicer on the other loops.  We'll be there, in D loop this time, we just stayed in E-loop this past weekend.

Sounds like I'll probably be missing you by a day or less in the same campground though.
Caverkim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2011 at 8:03pm
Enjoy!  
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>