R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Risers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: How many have axle risers on your Pods?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [75.58%]
9 [10.47%]
11 [12.79%]
1 [1.16%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Risers
    Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 1:30pm
I am thinking again of installing axle risers on our 177; which had me wondering, just how many of you out there actually have them? I am aware of most of the pros and cons and for me it comes down to getting a better tank flush at some of the parks we stay at.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 2:32pm
   We waited 2 years before we added them. We have had no regret, the positives are greater than what ever negatives there may be in our opinion. I would recommend getting them.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 2:49pm
I ordered my from the factory with it installed.  Actually I was the first one to get the riser at Couches RV.  Love it!

One way to get a better flush when you empty your tanks is to stop just short of where you need to be to empty.  Put a small wedge in front of the door side tire then pull up onto the wedge.  That will get you a better "empty".

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Cay View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 6:01pm

We had the risers put on our 171 before towing it off of the RV dealer's lot.  It cost us another 2 weeks of waiting to take the camper home and a missed opportunity to camp, but it was the best decision we made.  As I followed behind my husband in our car, and watched him tow the camper out of the driveway, there's not doubt in my mind that the camper would have bottomed out...and badly had we not had the risers on.  Same thing would have happened when we backed it into our driveway at home.

Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by psaman

I am thinking again of installing axle risers on our 177; which had me wondering, just how many of you out there actually have them? I am aware of most of the pros and cons and for me it comes down to getting a better tank flush at some of the parks we stay at.

Personally I don't think it really helps with the flush..we are (the-pods) still low to the ground in relation to dump "hole".  Your only 2" higher than before with risers...one of the tricks to better flushing is use more water, and don't dump unless your about 3/4 full...If your going to leave and want to dump...just fill the tank a little more and gravity will assist.

LeeStar

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:19pm
I'm not getting them for three reasons, and they are my own reasons and opinion so don't come down hard on me.  Embarrassed

The first reason is that the height of my Pod with the antenna and low profile A/C on my roof is 9 foot 1 inch and any higher than that and I am afraid of some of the low-lying U shaped bridges around my house.  In most cases, you have to be right in the center of those underpasses just to fit.  One of them is 10 foot 4 inches, and the other one is 9 foot 4 inches.  That is cutting it really close, especially if you hit a bump and bounce just a tad while inside the bridge's underpass.

The second reason is that I feel there is enough drag and wind resistance both front to back and side to side on both my truck and my pod slowing my speed as it is.  I can only imagine what adding 2 more inches in height would do to both my accelerator foot as well as my gas milage.

The third reason is that I like the look of my Pod just the way it is and if the stabilizer jacks on the back scrap ground once in a while I'm ok with that.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:23pm
I too am seriously considering the risers on our 177.  My biggest reason for wanting them is the uneveness of some of the sites we frequent.  Our favorite state park isn't real fond of scraping the gravel road and sites.  Lots of rain this summer has created ruts which put my stabilizers and the waste plumbing VERY close to the ground on numerous occasions.  The last site we were at was kinda sloped and when I leveled the pod, the storage tube for our sewer hose was seriously about an inch off the ground.  I also think it would help with our step as well.  I would love to raise the pod and then install a 2 step assembly.  As it is now, you  have a real short step onto the step then one giant step into the pod.  I really think I've already made up my mind to get them, just waiting til I have some extra cash laying around. I plan to order them directly from FR and I have a trailer place literally 1 mile from my house who will install them for me.  Don't know yet what they will charge, but other work they have done for me has been very reasonable.

Lee: Can you tell my why 4" risers will only raise the pod 2"?
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Butterfly_Lee

Originally posted by psaman

Personally I don't think it really helps with the flush..we are (the-pods) still low to the ground in relation to dump "hole".  Your only 2" higher than before with risers...one of the tricks to better flushing is use more water, and don't dump unless your about 3/4 full...If your going to leave and want to dump...just fill the tank a little more and gravity will assist.

LeeStar

I don't know why, but I was thinking the risers were 4 " higher, my bad. I won't dump unless the tanks are at least 3/4 full, hard to tell sometimes because the gauges are pretty useless.  But 2 of the full hook-up sites we have camped at, the sewer drains are actually elevated above ground level, making it harder to get a complete dump. It forces me to close the valve , disconnect the hose and elevate it to completely drain the hose.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by TerryM

I ordered my from the factory with it installed.  Actually I was the first one to get the riser at Couches RV.  Love it!

One way to get a better flush when you empty your tanks is to stop just short of where you need to be to empty.  Put a small wedge in front of the door side tire then pull up onto the wedge.  That will get you a better "empty".

Terry
Thanks, I might try something like that with my Bal leveler. I bought it a few months ago, but have not actually needed to use it since.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by secretbard

I'm not getting them for three reasons, and they are my own reasons and opinion so don't come down hard on me.  Embarrassed

The first reason is that the height of my Pod with the antenna and low profile A/C on my roof is 9 foot 1 inch and any higher than that and I am afraid of some of the low-lying U shaped bridges around my house.  In most cases, you have to be right in the center of those underpasses just to fit.  One of them is 10 foot 4 inches, and the other one is 9 foot 4 inches.  That is cutting it really close, especially if you hit a bump and bounce just a tad while inside the bridge's underpass.

The second reason is that I feel there is enough drag and wind resistance both front to back and side to side on both my truck and my pod slowing my speed as it is.  I can only imagine what adding 2 more inches in height would do to both my accelerator foot as well as my gas milage.

The third reason is that I like the look of my Pod just the way it is and if the stabilizer jacks on the back scrap ground once in a while I'm ok with that.  
All valid reasons. Actually one of the reasons I didn't have them put on at first, was because of a low tree limb across my driveway. But as it turned out, we decided to keep it at a nearby storage lot, so height is not an issue anymore. Like you I love the way our pod looks now, but we will love it even after a growth spurt!! LOL
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>