R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAxle Risers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: How many have axle risers on your Pods?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [75.58%]
9 [10.47%]
11 [12.79%]
1 [1.16%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axle Risers
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 9:43pm
As you might have seen from an earlier post, FR sent me the wrong riser kit, they billed it as a dexter, but sent me a lippert, brandy in fr parts got it fixed super fast, look on the right side of the axle there should be a label, also where the factory frame bolts to the axle the dexter bolt holes are 8 iches on center the lippert are 8 and 3/4. good luck, make sure the frame is supported well, make sure someone is near, dont get under the pod with the tire offwith less than two types of support, also lay the tire flat and push it under the middle of the axle, if all else fails it will drop and hit the rim possibly saving you. good luck and report back.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:19pm
We camped from Alberta to Ontario and then down to Arizona and back then Tom had the risers installed at our RV dealer. There were just too many gas stations and parking lot entrances where our stabilizers dragged or even dug in. We had no trouble in campgrounds or dumping but getting stuck halfway out of a parking lot with traffic heading towards us convinced him he was not willing to drag the pod around all next summer having the same fears. I believe they switched the hitch height by truning it upside down.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 11:04am
I mis-spoke...please read 'dsmiths' thread further on.  There is a label on the right side of the axle which gives the manufacturers name.  It has been awhile since I installed my risers.  I rechecked my manual...nothing said about the axle. FR may install either axle so no use in printing the axle in the manual.  So if your Pod is new...the label should be quite easy to read.
TIDALWAVE
UPWILD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 6:30pm
The comments on axle risers are very interesting. Never gave it thought before. Anyone put them on 151?    UPWILD
UPWILD
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 6:34pm
Well guys, I installed my axle risers and what a difference it makes.  Big smile  I did have a scary moment on installing the second axle riser.  When I took the nuts and bolts out of the last one, it slid sideways and I had to pull it to one side so that the holes would match up.  In doing so, the axle slipped off the jack and hit the ground.  Hopefully that didn't screw anything up, and luckily my leg wasn't under there when it happened.  After getting the holes matched up, I finished the job while also greasing the bearings after each one done.  It looks really good and really raises the pod off the ground.  An even more amazing thing... when I hooked up the pod to the hitch, after the back of the truck dipped about 2 inches, I put a level on the pod and it was perfectly level.  No more having the pod dip in the back.  Now I can leave the pod hooked up if I'm on the road and want to take a nap in a parking lot.  Oh, and I know I won't have any problem now with any of the dips in the entrance to many parking lots and the dips in the dirt roads in the VA campsites.  So I am very happy to say the least.  Smile  It was quite a job though... took me a little longer than it probably should have.   

I would like to know though, how high is my pod with the axle risers (I have the air conditioner on the roof)?

Have any of you guys considered getting larger tires?  How large can you go with your tires?  I will probably go to the 15" tires or larger when these 14" tires wear out.  

A final note:  I love this forum.  I would have never attempted this had it not been for the DIY thread.     
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Rabbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 9:18pm
If the axle risers add four inches your total height now is 9' 10" for a R Pod 172.
Enjoy!
dsmiths View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 10:55pm
Rabbit is right, think 10, when driving under bridges, overpasses etc, if you got a pod, on a 1 to 10 scale with 1 being no fun and 10 being we are really having a good time, think 10, when approaching bridges, going into gas stations with that ugly flat roof, fast food joints (of which I try to avoid at all costs) I sometimes forget they have thoses pesty little awnings that stick out. 10 feet of pod altitude can make a mess of a Arby's awning, I have to change modes when towing the pod, its kind of like taxing an airplane, they are not very long but really wide, my old 1946 taylorcraft wss 34 feet wide wing tip to wing tip and when on the ground you had to think when you were taxiing. My wife Donna has a friend at work that got a pull behind and guess what, they forgot about the height, went under an overpass and sheared off the roof a.c. Ouch, Have fun, Be safe.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 7:29am
Originally posted by UPWILD

The comments on axle risers are very interesting. Never gave it thought before. Anyone put them on 151?    UPWILD

I had the dealer put the risers on my 2010 RP-151.  Cost $150 for parts an labor and a few hours.  Best thing I ever did to that trailer.
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
jdsanders View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 1:33pm
I am bottomed out on my rear stabilizer jacks a time or two and am thinking about installing axle risers on my RP174.  Thanks above for all the pros and cons of adding the risers.

I would prefer to raise my 174 only 2".  Rather than installing axle risers, I am considering changing the 14" wheels and tires for 15" in order to raise the axle and camper 2" or more.  Has anyone on this forum done that or do you know anyone who has?  I assume I would also have to raise my fenders.  What are the pluses and minuses of doing this?
Jerry
GingerPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 7:06pm
Axle risers are a must have in my opinion,so much so the dealer I bought my 178 from has all their Pods equipped with risers that they sell.

They just ride too low without them.Raising the fenders to accommodate 15" tires is not necessary.

In fact when I swapped to 15" tires I lowered them almost 2" so they don't look so high and out of proportion.Keep in mind though I have 4" risers.

I couldn't comment on the fit of 15" wheel to fender clearance without risers.There is not but about 1" of compression wheel travel,so fenders could be fairly tight to the tires with no ill effects.

Here is how Pods look with 15" tires,4" axle  risers and lowered fenders.
http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5162&title=wheeltire-fender-upgrade-mod
FOUND OUR NEW-RETRO TEARDROP!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>