R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPropane tank gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane tank gauge
    Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 10:20am
Hi everyone,
I did a search for this before posting, but couldn't find anything on it. I wonder if we're just super ignorant, but we can't figure out how to tell how much fuel is left in the propane tank. How do people figure this out? There doesn't appear to be a gauge or anything. Thanks!
Margo and Tom and dogs
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 12:02pm
There are several ways you can do it.

1.  Take the tank off and weigh it on a bathroom scale.  There is a tare weight marked on the tank which is what the tank itself weighs.  Subtract that from the total and you'll know exactly how many pounds of propane you have.  But, this method is a pain.

2. Use a stick-on gauge or screw-on gauge.  The stick-on gauges are basically thermometers which show you where the temperature changes on the outside of the tank.  I think they can fail in cold weather and do the same thing as #4 below so I don't recommend them.  The screw-on gauges meaure the pressure of the gas.  The problem with them is the pressure of the gas is basically the same all the time until the very end - and its unlikely you'll be staring at the gauge at that point, even if you were its too late already.  LP is stored as a liquid which sits at the bottom of the tank, and evaporates into the empty space above it.  That gas is what you use.  The surface area of the liquid stays the same all the way down until it hits the bottom shoulder (where the tank curves) and it is at that point that the pressure begins to drop.  Again, too late to do you much good.

3.  In-tank gauge or translucent tank.  You can buy tanks that have a float in them like your car's gas tank, so their gauge will be accurate.  You can also buy a tank that isn't made of steel.  I think it is fiberglass & resin.  So you can see the level with them.  The problem with both of these tanks is they are much more expensive.

4. The "hot water method".  Take a cup of hot water, pour it slowly down the side of the tank from the top shoulder.  Keep the water in one line, don't pour it all over the tank.  Wait a few seconds, then run your finger down the side of the tank where the water was.  The top of the tank will still be hot.  It will abruptly turn cold where the liquid begins because it can absorb the heat.  The line where it changes is where your fuel level is.  Note that if you do this to a fully-filled tank the line won't be at the very top.  LPG tanks leave the top 20% empty for the gas and to allow for thermal expansion.  This is the easiest and cheapest method and is the one I use.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
margobun View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 12:15pm
Wow, thanks Dave! This is great information. My husband loves your hot water idea and plans on giving it a shot today!
Margo and Tom and dogs
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 9:19pm

No problem.

Wink

\/ \/ \/ \/

Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:04pm
I am so impressed with you and this site. I have used propane tanks for years, on trailers, sail boats, camps and never heard of the hot water method. I tried it just now and worked great, took the tank off and check the weight and it was spot on.
Thanks again for the useful information.   Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
this_is_nascar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
"HOT" meaning faucet hot, as opposed to boiling water, correct?
"Ray & Connie"

- 2017 R-Pod RP-180
- 2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Off Road
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 8:54pm

Clark, glad to help.  Heck of a lot easier than taking it off!

Ray, the temperature from the faucet is fine.

Post Reply Post Reply