R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:37pm
    A while back when we were trying to sell our 2009 Rpod, and asked Camping World if they would sell it on consignment, their answer was no. There reason they told us, was that the Rpods do not sell well. I wonder that the trailer not having proper lighting did not have something to do with it. Several months later there was a Rpod on there lot, I did not look to see if it was a newer Rpod built with the proper lighting. Perhaps the reason that dealers are adding the lights to the Rpods they are now selling is because of legal issues. If they sell a Rpod that does not have the proper lighting and it is involved in a accident where the inproper lighting could be the blame, they could be held responsible. I think by what is all happening in time Forest River will be recalling their trailers built without the proper lighting to avoid law suits, I don't think they will have much choice. Time will tell but to me it looks like this will be the outcome.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 10:23pm
With what I have learned in the past few months I feel strongly that a recall will take place.  The pure fact that Forest river went from not installing the lighting to installing the back lighting and then installing both the back and fenders they know they are wrong.  I would hate to see some lawsuit break out do to non compliant lighting.  Also as Owners how would we be held if we don't do something? 
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:42pm
I emailed my selling dealer to inquire about the "recall" they emailed me and said it only applies to R Pods sold in Canada.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:45pm
Oh P.S. they said they called FR and they advised them the recall only applied to Canadian registered R Pods. I have to assume they actually talked to FR. Time will tell, in the meanwhile I may put red LED running lights on the rear of the fenders, not a hard job.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
Sandpiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sandpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:02pm
Good news for owners of 2009-2010 R-Pods.

Forest Rivers petition has been denied. 
See the article below for the details.  Some times the little guys win.  Thanks to all that submitted comments to the NHTSA concerning this issue.  The NHTSA made note that several people commented and none of the people agreed with Forest River. 
This means Forest River must notify the owners of the recall and perform the work to fix the problem at no cost to the owners.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=NHTSA-2011-0040-0038

Edited to correct link.
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:14pm
Wow.  I guess you CAN  fight city hall and win if you are determined enough.  Congratulations to all this applies to.  This is a good civics lesson for us all.  It's your right and duty to point out when you have been wronged and take it to the proper authorities.  I applaud all of you who were involved with this.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Welcome Sandpiper! Smile

I am glad that they did the right thing, and now, FR follows though quickly and resolves this.  The loyal Pod owners deserve no less!
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:58pm
The part I find the most satisfying is that the text describing the fact that the metal fenders is wider is NOT a flexible fender extension is almost word for word what I put in my initial complaint to NHTSA and Forest River 2 years ago.  

Its unfortunate that Forest River isn't fixing it because its the right thing to do.  That they are only going to finally fix it because NHTSA is forcing them to do so.   FR has used every excuse/tactic in the book to keep from having to make this right.    I got my trailer fixed a year ago, only after having the NHTSA case officer call Susan at forest river and "request" they fix my trailer.    The whole experience (which a select few forum members went through as well) means this is the last FR trailer I will ever own as I have lost all respect or trust for the manufacturer.

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:31pm
I certainly understand your anger toward FR.  Just by way of explanation, today publicly held corporations are beholden more to their stockholders than to their customers.  The bean counters and attorneys are constantly looking to keep the most profits inhouse.  Therefore its cheaper for them to fight litigation then to pay for corrections.  Look what Ford did years ago with the Pinto.  They wouldn't fix the gas tanks with  a 50 cent fix.  Would rather risk paying millions of dollars in damages to people who were burned to death when their vehicles caught on fire when their car was rearended.  This unfortunately is corporate america today.  Anyway, you won and congratulations.  Wouldn't blame FR totally.  I think you would be very lucky to find a large company today that would make the fix rather than fight it.  Anyway, thats my opinion.  I would hate for you to cut off your nose, to spite your face.  They still make a very fine product.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:18pm
I agree with Camper Bob, I don't think FR set out to decieve us, however Corp Attorneys went into damage control to reduce the costs to FR. It is sad that attorneys have to litigate what is obvious to us blue collar workers. FR should have stepped up to the plate and corrected this problem before it became a problem, its sad that profit comes before safety. FR makes a good product, I bet the people who build this product are just like the rest of us, spouse, kids, going to little league base ball games, mowing the grass. come on FR step up to the plate. YOU ARE ON DECK.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
lift kit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>