R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 5:56pm
Well, it didn't cut/paste very well here, but I left a comment.  Hope it helps.

The recreational trailer, Rpod, is clearly in non-compliance with the NHTSA regulations, as the manufacturer, Forest River concedes. The NHTSA creates these requirements so that vehicles may be operated safely upon the public roadways. The NHTSA should require the manufacturer to bring the trailers into compliance for this reason and the following:

1. Forest River admits the units in question do not have the safety lighting required by the NHTSA.

2. To operate these units upon the public roadways is unsafe for the owners and the general motoring public.

3. To exempt this manufacturer would set and undesired precedent for all manufacturers of trailers.

4. To exempt this unit would place an unreasonable burden on the owners, Law Enforcement Officials, and the Courts systems;

A. It would be unreasonable to require every Law Enforcement Official in the United States to  have    knowledge of one exempt vehicle of a particular make/model/year and month of manufacture.

B. It would be unreasonable to require every Court of jurisdiction in the

United States to have knowledge of the aforementioned exemption.

C. It would be unreasonable to expect the owners to be subject to citation, impounding of the              unit, and the legal defense of such, when found to be

operating these units on the public roadways.

5. To exempt this unit would call into the question the owner’s ability to re-sell the trailer,

knowing it to be in non-compliance and unsafe to operate.

6. The manufacturer is depriving the owners of the value of their purchase; as the units are in non-compliance and should not be operated upon the public roadway.

7. Forest River’s chief objection to bringing the units into compliance seems to be; “it would cost a lot of money”. This point is moot as the vehicles should have been manufactured in compliance with the NHSTA regulations from the beginning.

8. It is entirely reasonable to believe that the average consumer would rely on the manufacturer to provide a product that is in compliance with National regulations.

As such, the owners of these units should not have been expected to have

foreknowledge of the non-compliance, nor should they be expected to burden the cost

of bringing the units into compliance.

The NHTSA should reject the petition of Forest River in regards to these camping trailers, require Forest River to recall the units in question and require Forest River to bring the units into compliance with NHTSA regulations, at no cost to the owners.

tdrace View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tdrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 8:02pm
Well said!
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 6:01pm
Thanks!  However, everyone should realize that their "comments" become public and can be viewed by anyone wishing to do so - just like we can view FR petitions.

I doubt they are going to be very happy with us Unhappy (ie. don't expect a Christmas card).
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 12:39am
Christmas card? They stopped sending me one right after they cashed my check. I have called them on the carpet more than once and right now checking into some regs here in pa. Last year i took my camper to a non trailer dealer for state inspection. They questioned the lights in march 2011 but passed the trailer as it had inspection on it before. I had put it out of my mind
Back then as i had planned on making a fender mod with lights on it. I also planned on putting a better backup light on the unit as most of the time when we camp im pulling in the dark. My comments are just about ready to post.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 3:52am
What we need is a set of wireless clearance lights.  Then there wouldn't be the problem of running wires.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 7:40am
Originally posted by rpodcamper.com

Christmas card? They stopped sending me one right after they cashed my check. I have called them on the carpet more than once and right now checking into some regs here in pa. Last year i took my camper to a non trailer dealer for state inspection. They questioned the lights in march 2011 but passed the trailer as it had inspection on it before. I had put it out of my mind
Back then as i had planned on making a fender mod with lights on it. I also planned on putting a better backup light on the unit as most of the time when we camp im pulling in the dark. My comments are just about ready to post.

You didn't get a Christmas card?

Come to think about it, I didn't either! Ouch

I checked the docket and so far 24 comments have been posted - the latest being 09-23-11.  Hard to believe less than 1% of the owners have done so. Cry
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by David

I checked the docket and so far 24 comments have been posted - the latest being 09-23-11.  Hard to believe less than 1% of the owners have done so. Cry

Most owners  don't know. Think about it..

How many R-Pods are there total? How many actual owners are here on these forums? Many who own, are not affected. Most who own, and are not members here, will never hear about it. Even among those who are owners of affected trailers, and members here, only go to a couple forum areas, and may never come here...

and finally, something I learned in a leadership class eons ago.. only 10-15% of any group will actually participate in group "activities". The rest are just along for the ride...

Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 2:52pm
This is what I posted:

Forest River, Inc should not be granted the exemption for the non-compliance of the lighting systems of the r-pod family of campers.  On December 14, 2010 Forest River's letter to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration stated that they were aware of 2,741 units in need of the required lights.  At that time they also stated that they would recall 100% of the trailers.  Forest Rivers estimated cost of repair is $369.87 per trailer but yet they state in their December 22, 2010 this is a hardship on them to correct. This was not a new requirement but one that was in placed while Forest River was building, marketing and selling the R-pods.

For the safety of the 2,741 owners and for the general public they should be required to make the needed repairs.  If repairs are not made will the owners of the units be subject to possible expenses in proving that their trailer had a National Exemptions on them for the safety lighting?  How about when the owners go to re-sell them, will they be required to bring them up to standards?  In cases of State required Safety Inspections will owners be required to supply the lighting?  In the case of an accident will the owners be held liable if the proper lighting is not there?  Will Police have the options to pull over a person because of the lighting and if they do what does the owner have to defend themselves?  If this is allowed as an exemption how many other manufactures will follow suit and skip important safety issues?  If owners into Canada will they have issues with the lack of lighting?

When my wife and I bought our 2009 R-Pod 171, we in good faith believed that Forest River was providing us with safe trailers that meet all required State and Federal Guidelines.  At this time they have not done that and trying to get out of the issue.  Please do not allow the exemption and require that Forest River Inc recalls all the units that are wrong.

Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 2:56pm
I'm also sending letters and e-mails to Forest River:

The below person is who sign the letters to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration.

William G. Conway Jr.
Chief Corporate Engineer
574-534-6913
bconway@forestriverinc.com
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 8:34pm
    If Forest River does not recall the Rpods in the United States to fix the lights, this will be against them as a responsible company to do business with. They will fail in providing good customer service. Thats something in these times companys are trying hard to achieve to win customer loyalty. Perhaps what they are trying to save they will end up losing in time from customers turning to other manufactures of RVs. If they think it will be a hardship on them what about their customers who will have to pay the costs to have the proper lighting. A company as big as Forest River that doesn't make sense.       David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>