R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:47pm
I am picking up our 2011 RP-172 tomorrow after the rear light recall, I am going to check over the install with a fine tooth comb. I want to make sure there is a good seal between the spoiler and the body of the pod so water wont collect and find a way in through where they drilled (ouch) the skin to run the wires. anyway wish me luck.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 10:26am
Luck!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Seanl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Seanl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by dsmiths

I am picking up our 2011 RP-172 tomorrow after the rear light recall, I am going to check over the install with a fine tooth comb. I want to make sure there is a good seal between the spoiler and the body of the pod so water wont collect and find a way in through where they drilled (ouch) the skin to run the wires. anyway wish me luck.

They run the wires under the plastic trim on the edge of the RPod they don't drill through the skin 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 3:30pm
Your right Sean, I was worried they would poke a hole in the skin and then if improperly sealed water gets in, rot aaaahhh. they did a great job, it really worked out great due to the fact they run the wiring up the passengers (right) side under the half tube trim. This was perfect because this spring we had a nasty hail storm, some stones were as big as a lemon and one knocked a hole in the tube trim about 1/2 the way down the back, short term I split some foam backer rod in half, pushed that in the hole with about 1 inch overlap on both sides of the hole and then filled and smoothed white silcone. They replaced it as part of the recall so everything worked out right. They did a nice job of caulking the seam, tucking the wiring in, it looks factory, the only thing I will correct is they use self tapping screws to mount the fender lights and they stick inside the wheel well about 3/4 of an inch and are razor sharp, if you run your hand in there to wash the wheel well area it will lay your hand open. Thats an easy fix. Now we have a New looking Pod.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:32am
I'll finally be getting this done soon.  The Winter Campout will take me about 10 minutes from my dealer on the way home (when its usually 1 1/2 hours from my house) so I would be an idiot to not drop it off.  Since they are already running wires up there I'm going to have them add a 3rd brake light just below the light bar.  I think the low-mounted brake lights and lack of one higher up is a much more serious issue than adding the 3 little orange running lights up there.  I'll probably just have them use an extra red marker light like the ones that will go on the fenders.  Finally I've put so many miles on the pod the wheel bearings need a lube before we go anywhere this summer so I might as well have them do that too.
secretbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote secretbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 1:45pm
They aren't orange lights, they are red.  I mean the light bar on the upper rear of the Pod.  Good idea with the third brake light.  I didn't do this when they installed my running lights on the upper rear of my Pod.
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:30pm
Interesting, I thought they were orange.  I'll post how much my dealer wants to do the job when I hear back.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:11pm
Ok, both jobs are done.  I'll post about it in the podmods section.
sleising View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sleising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2013 at 2:13pm
I was just washing my 2011 pod with the recall performed... the upper caulk joint and trim tape seal was broken in the center, causing water/ debris to collect in the spoiler.  I have drained out water.. now I am calling dealer.  Any one else seen this?
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote TIDALWAVE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 11:00am
WinkThe seal break was probably there at the time of the retro-fit. 
When I took my Pod home after having the spoiler installed, I noticed that very little silicon sealant had been used along part of the 'upslope' contact.  I didn't want any water standing in the 'dip'.  I used the same color sealant as the dealer and carefully smeared enough sealant to fill in any low spot.  So that any rain water would freely flow off the spoiler.
At the same time, I carefully inspected all of the sealant along all of the seals.  I had to clean out and fill in several small weathered sections. I also checked the floor-wall contacts and sealed up any gaps/cracks that had formed during the last year.
An hour's time to check and fix...rather than a major water damage repair later.
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>