R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gmandual View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Bill-GA

So how does a pod owner who bought his pod from a private owner in GA get the work done? Hmmmmmm.... Is there a FR factory /authorized rep near Atlanta, Ga?  Should I call them and register as an owner? Do I need to take it to them?  Lots of questions ...

They will pull records from vehicle registrations (by VIN Number) for the trailer.  And per NHTSA procedure are then required to send out recall notices to those who have the trailers registered and licenced.

But before that happens, they have to submit a remidiation time table to the NHTSA to illustrate a plan for remidiation of the problem and a timetable by which the plan will be completed.   There is a statute on how long FR has to complete the establishment of the plan, and by when they have to communicate to the consumer.   (But don't have that information at hand.)

In theory though (if FR decided to) they could start fixing the trailers immediatly, as they already have a retrofit kit manufacturered to fix the problem from the canadian recall and already have instructions they can send to dealers.

The work should be able to be done by any Forest River registered dealer, and shouldn't have to be done by a Forest River dealer who carries RPod's.

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote rpodcamper.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:21pm
All Owners would need to wait for a letter to come to them from Forest River.  Someone who bought used should still be contacted as your DMV would have records of the transfer. 

I am glad someone took this thing by the bull horns and reasearched and then filed the complaint.  Thank you!
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:09pm
Forest River isn't a publically owned company.   Its a company owned by Berkshire Hathaway (Warren Buffet).    But that is largely irrelevant.

Long before lawyers and NHTSA was involved the people at the company failed to react, recognize and remidy the problem.    I forgot how many times I heard the line "we couldn't have sold it, if it wasn't safe"....lol   While I agree there are good people at the company.    I believe the company failed me as a consumer.   As a culture within a company that doesn't treat every safety concern seriously is a danger to the company and the consumer.
Bill-GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bill-GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:06pm
So how does a pod owner who bought his pod from a private owner in GA get the work done? Hmmmmmm.... Is there a FR factory /authorized rep near Atlanta, Ga?  Should I call them and register as an owner? Do I need to take it to them?  Lots of questions ...
Bill & Bev
13 yr old dachshund 'Elsa'
2010 RP-176T (tent & slide-out)
2011 Toyota Tundra 2WD TV
secretbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote secretbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:59pm
This is great news.  So, for the layman, what does this actually mean?  What exactly are they obligated to fix?  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
dsmiths View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote dsmiths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:18pm
I agree with Camper Bob, I don't think FR set out to decieve us, however Corp Attorneys went into damage control to reduce the costs to FR. It is sad that attorneys have to litigate what is obvious to us blue collar workers. FR should have stepped up to the plate and corrected this problem before it became a problem, its sad that profit comes before safety. FR makes a good product, I bet the people who build this product are just like the rest of us, spouse, kids, going to little league base ball games, mowing the grass. come on FR step up to the plate. YOU ARE ON DECK.
Dane and Donna Smith
2011 RP-172
2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4X4
lift kit
prodigy wireless brake controller
Camper Bob View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:31pm
I certainly understand your anger toward FR.  Just by way of explanation, today publicly held corporations are beholden more to their stockholders than to their customers.  The bean counters and attorneys are constantly looking to keep the most profits inhouse.  Therefore its cheaper for them to fight litigation then to pay for corrections.  Look what Ford did years ago with the Pinto.  They wouldn't fix the gas tanks with  a 50 cent fix.  Would rather risk paying millions of dollars in damages to people who were burned to death when their vehicles caught on fire when their car was rearended.  This unfortunately is corporate america today.  Anyway, you won and congratulations.  Wouldn't blame FR totally.  I think you would be very lucky to find a large company today that would make the fix rather than fight it.  Anyway, thats my opinion.  I would hate for you to cut off your nose, to spite your face.  They still make a very fine product.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
gmandual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gmandual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:58pm
The part I find the most satisfying is that the text describing the fact that the metal fenders is wider is NOT a flexible fender extension is almost word for word what I put in my initial complaint to NHTSA and Forest River 2 years ago.  

Its unfortunate that Forest River isn't fixing it because its the right thing to do.  That they are only going to finally fix it because NHTSA is forcing them to do so.   FR has used every excuse/tactic in the book to keep from having to make this right.    I got my trailer fixed a year ago, only after having the NHTSA case officer call Susan at forest river and "request" they fix my trailer.    The whole experience (which a select few forum members went through as well) means this is the last FR trailer I will ever own as I have lost all respect or trust for the manufacturer.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Welcome Sandpiper! Smile

I am glad that they did the right thing, and now, FR follows though quickly and resolves this.  The loyal Pod owners deserve no less!
Camper Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Camper Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 5:14pm
Wow.  I guess you CAN  fight city hall and win if you are determined enough.  Congratulations to all this applies to.  This is a good civics lesson for us all.  It's your right and duty to point out when you have been wronged and take it to the proper authorities.  I applaud all of you who were involved with this.  Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>