R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.S. Rpod Owners 2009-2010 models: PLEASE READ
    Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 6:46am
I wonder how much it would cost us to have this work done if Forest River gets their way on this issue.  They should be ashamed of themselves!  What they are attempting makes good financial sense but really lousy PR sense.

Terry  
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

Camping World sells a lot of different campers on consignment. I asked a while back if they would sell ours and they said no they would not sell a Rpod on consignment. I wonder if the reason was because it was not leagal and they did not want to be liable if there was a law suit. I never asked why, perhaps I will ask them and see if it was because of improper lighting.     David

I too would find this interesting.  The local CW took my Pod on trade in March of 2010.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Tidalwave4455

Thank you GMANDUAL for informing the R-Pod community concerning Forest River's attempt to get out of following US-Canadian safety rules. Especially on the short time left for owner comments to the NHTSA.  (I did send in my comments).
Please keep us apprised on the situation as it unfolds.
Thank you again.

I second this!  Your work and research are appreciated, I'm sure.  It is unfortunate (but not totally unexpected) that FR would not want to recall.  It would/will cost them a lot of money to remedy this.
Good luck to all of you!   
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tri-Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:54pm
David, be really helpful if you can getmsomething in writing.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 4:28pm
     Camping World sells a lot of different campers on consignment. I asked a while back if they would sell ours and they said no they would not sell a Rpod on consignment. I wonder if the reason was because it was not leagal and they did not want to be liable if there was a law suit. I never asked why, perhaps I will ask them and see if it was because of improper lighting.     David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Tidalwave4455 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tidalwave4455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 12:46pm
Thank you GMANDUAL for informing the R-Pod community concerning Forest River's attempt to get out of following US-Canadian safety rules. Especially on the short time left for owner comments to the NHTSA.  (I did send in my comments).
Please keep us apprised on the situation as it unfolds.
Thank you again.
GrandPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GrandPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 9:28am
 I added my comments last night.
 Tom
Tom and Linda
R-Pod 177
Southwest Florida
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote TerryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 8:01am
I added my comment!Angry

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
psaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote psaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by gmandual

So it appears that forest river believes that they shouldn't have to notify owners of 2009-2010 R-Pod's that their trailers don't have proper lighting on the R-POD's as the "noncompliance is inconsequential to motor vehicle safety".

They are trying to get out of having to fix everyone's R-Pod with the reasoning being that noncompliance doesn't effect the safety of 2009-2010 R-Pod's, and that it will cost them money to fix.     They are petitioning the NHTSA to exempt them from having a recall as they don't think owners should be notified of the trailers lighting problems or have to have them fixed.
They believe that:
"......
Forest River believes that the described FMVSS No. 108 noncompliance is inconsequential to motor vehicle safety, and that its petition, to exempt it from providing recall notification of noncompliance as required by 49 U.S.C. 30118 and remedying the recall noncompliance as required by 49 U.S.C. 30120, should be granted."

I urge anyone who is concerned about the safety of their 2009-2010 R-Pod to file their argument against Forest Rivers petition with the NHTSA prior to the September 28th, 2011 deadline.    Details on how to do so are on the page below, search page for "Interested Persons". Sorry for short notice, just got the link to the information today:

(HTML VERSION)
http://www.federalregisterwatch.com/inf2/111108/forest-river-inc-receipt-petition-decision-inconsequential-noncompliance.htm

(TEXT & PDF VERSIONS)
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pagedetails.action?granuleId=2011-21953&packageId=FR-2011-08-29&acCode=FR

-------------------------------------------------
Am posting this here, as I know not everyone here is also on the other R-Pod forum.    Main thread on the ongoing saga of Forest River not knowing how to use a measuring tape is over on other forum. 
http://www.rpodnation.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2395&PID=31172&title=rpod-recall-for-canada-insufficient-lighting#31172

I just filed my comments at www.regulations.gov.  Searched for NHTSA-2011-0040; Notice 1 and clicked on comments.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
secretbard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote secretbard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 4:05pm
Thanks for the information.  I'll be keeping an eye on this since my Pod is non-compliant.  Hopefully they will eventually correct the problem for the sake of safety of the Podders and others on the road.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>