This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDodge Dakota owners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodge Dakota owners?
    Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:06pm
Ok, I cancelled the etrailer.com order because shipping was going to take forever and I found the cable locally.  Always a good thing Thumbs Up

I am in the process of calculating gas mileage without the pod so I have something to compare it to.

TerryM...I changed my sig line vehicle just for you!!!

Here is a quick photo I snapped this afternoon after I got home from work, with the pod in the BG.  I will use this photo as a guide to choose my graphics.  I can make them myself, but I'm limited to single colors, ie. green and/or blue and/or red and/or black, etc...the stuff I use at work is just plain vinyl, not the 'cool' stuff.  I will most likely order my graphics from Universal Products (www.u-p.com).  They have some really nice stuff and that's where I got the graphics I put on my Jeep Wrangler.  I'm really good at logos, names, and text but I don't have the capabilites of doing the really neat stuff. 

Techntrek.....For a project as large as yours, you may want to check out some local sign shops in your area.  They should have the capabilites of doing printed stuff as well as wraps and other neat stuff.  It won't cost you anything to stop by and see what they can do.  But I DO suggest you stop by instead of calling them.  A project like the front/back of the pod isn't something easily discussed over the phone. Or you may want to do an internet search for "vehicle vinyl graphics"  The key to good adhesion is a CLEAN surface.  Use alcohol after a really good wash to remove as much dirt, residue and WAX as possible.  I really think most of the peeling graphic problems is due to the slick, probably waxed surfaces of the pods!  Just my opinion!

So here is the picture, also know as the "before"....will post the "after" as soon as I get it the way I want it.

Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:26am
Good lookin' truck! Looks like it's in super shape. It will be a great canvas for your art!
I am a fan of the Dakota since we got our '04 new. Only 65,000 miles ago after more than 7 years. The V6 with a shell on the back gets 17-18 mpg at NJ highway speed, 72 mph or greater. It does a little better a 55 or so. it will be interesting to see what the B8 does. As a TV those extra horses will make a big difference.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:03pm
Podsible Dream...thanks.  The truck looks better than the photo reveals.  Really nice and shiny paint, no nicks or scratches.  Chrome is in great shape too.  The interior is nearly flawless and like yours, only has 65,000 miles.  Are you getting 17-18 mpg pulling the pod?  I had often thought a camper shell on the back of the truck would help prevent a lot of the drag while pulling the pod.  Been meaning to ask the forum how many use the shell and if they notice better mileage with it but just never got around to asking.  I'd never thought about getting a shell for my Ranger for a couple of reasons.  1) never particularly cared for the looks of them 2) i keep WAY too much stuff in my tool box to replace it.  But now with the new truck I'm wondering if I want to get one.  At my stage of life practical and funtional outweigh cool and pretty!  I'm anxious to see what the gas mileage is on the new truck with and without the pod.  In the meantime I think I will start pricing the toppers...just in case!
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:50pm
I wish we could get the high milage towing the pod, iamsmonk! But we're stuck at the typical 10-11mpg towing at 60-63. I had hoped the shell would make a difference, but it seems that the Rpod bulk front is too much too pull through the air. A truck with a shell, a minivan and a SUV all have a similar profile going throughnthe air. Anyway, I'm stuck filing the gas tank every 150 miles like everybody else. Our shell was 1100 here in NJ where everything is higher. We got it to use to haul camping gear before the Rpod. So far, knock on wood, we haven't had anything disappear from it, even when I leave it parked for a week at the airport. With the shell we now still carry a 'camp kitchen' setup I made abou 30 years ago and have used ever since, so we don't cook in the trailer. Plus a lot of other gear that doesn't need to be stowed in the pod. Making a long story here...so enjoy your new truck... (I will say mine is quick off the line with the V6, with the V8, it should be a real rabbit!!)
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 9:24pm
Iamsmonk, why the Dakota and not one of the Ford F-150's or Dodge 1500's? Looking at the prices, it seems they are similar, have V8s, etc. Was it the size? Or sometime else? I was impressed with the carmax website, although the prices seemed a bit higher than the local N J ads.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 10:11pm
You know, that's an excellent question.  For quite some time I felt I would go with an F-150.  My preference would have been another Ranger, but knew I needed the 8 cylinder engine to pull the pod where we wanted to go.  And my Ranger was such a good truck.  So I started looking for 150's.  Actually drove a couple.  Did some searching at carmax.com.  Found an F-150 there but by the time I was ready to go look at it, it was gone!  But while searching carmax.com, I kept running into this Dakota.  Seemed like everytime I did a search, this Dakota kept popping up, almost like fate or something!  So last Saturday I drove yet another 150 and the salesman was your TYPICAL car salesman.  I drove off the lot without the truck.  Wound up driving about 125 miles to look at 2 more trucks then wound up at Carmax.  The salesman said he could get the Dakota transferred from it's location (about 2 hours away) at no cost to me, within a couple of days.  I naturally said ok.  I went Tuesday and drove it.  Pretty much fell in love with it.  I loved the size, much closer to my Ranger.  I never really WANTED a full size truck but felt I NEEDED one. But the specs between the Dakota and 150 were so close it was a non factor.  The price may have been a bit higher than expected, but not much for my region.  And I honestly feel like I got a better truck for my money.  Physically it is in excellent condition.  I learned that they really go over and service there cars before they go on the lot. It came with a 5 day money back guarantee.  If I'm not happy with it for ANY reason they will give me a full refund.  It comes with a 30 warantee.  None of the dealers around here will do that for a truck that age.  They offered an extended warantee, which I bought for a very reasonable price.  They also gave me a VERY fair price for my Ranger.  It truly was the best car buying experience I've ever had.  Absolutly NO pressure.  Everyone in the store was super nice, but not overly nice, if you know what I mean.  I talked to one of the service guys about Dodge Dakotas in general and he was quite helpful and knowledgeable.  They have a service department there (which I did not know before hand) and I can take the truck back there for oil changes, tires or any other mechanical problems I may have.  I really can't say enough nice things about Carmax, I know I'm begining to sound like a commercial.  Now after driving the truck back and forth to work a few days, I'm even happier with my decision to get the Dakota.  I just can't wait to pull the pod with it for the first time.  Hopefully that will be next weekend.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the insights, Sherrie! We're not at the point to get a new TV yet, but I'll remember you comments when we are. Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
BarneyM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 9:53am
I had a Dakota about 8 years ago. It was a V6 and a good truck. It never gave me problems. I'm sure the V8 makes it a great tow vehicle. I would also think because it's a little smaller than a full-size that you'll get a little better gas mileage during regular driving. 
Barney - Looking for handicap van that can tow R-Pod 171
The E Train View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 1:51pm
Still pulling the R-Pod with the Dakota?
"What happens in the POD, stays in the POD."
2002 Dakota (pulling a) 2012 R-Pod 176T
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12