This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDodge Dakota owners?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodge Dakota owners?
    Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 10:14pm
Any Dodge Dakota owners out there? 

Here is why I ask...My 1998 Ford Ranger with 4.0 v6 engine and 247,000 miles is finally to the point I'm no longer comfortable pulling the pod with it.  I'm starting to see signs of mechanical problems and don't want to put the money into a truck that old with that many miles.  So I went truck shopping today Star  I have it narrowed down to 2 vehicles.Embarrassed  1 is a 2003 Ford F150 with 4.6 V8 Triton engine.  I'm very familiar with Ford and the reputation that goes along with them.  I have nothing but good things to say about my Ford.  It has been a damned good truck!  I drove the F-150 today and really like it.     I'm also considering a 2004 Dodge Dakota with 4.7 V8 Magnum engine.  I haven't had the chance to drive it yet.  Car Max has it at another location and is bringing it to my local store on Monday.  Each vehicle has it's own pros and cons, but it's a neck and neck race at this point.  One thing I really like about the Dakota is it's size.  I've never really wanted a "Full Sized" truck.  I love the size of my Ranger and the Dakota is supposed to be 'in between' the big boys and the compacts.  I like the idea of the smaller body size but the full size engine.  I've done some research on the Dakota and was hoping I could get some real life input from actual owners, preferably ones who pull campers with it.

Any and all comments will be appreciated.Confused
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 10:45pm
Wish I could be more help Sherrie. Our 2004 Dakota SLT is a crew cab with the small back seat and full 6 foot bed, but with the 3.7L V6, 60,000 miles.   It does ok with the RPod, but maxes out at about 65 mph at 3000 rpm and about 10-11mpg. We don't seem to have a sway problem passing or being passed. The standard suspension holds up well with three of us ( not small people) and a load of gear in the back as well as the pod. We like the big truck feel of the smaller truck. I like being able to carry 4x8 sheets of building materials. It has 17" wheels and big tires ( which my tire guy kids me about). So with the risers and a flat tow bar the pod is just slightly nose down. We have had no mechanical problems with the truck at all. Check our pictures in the campout topic just after Memorial Day.     Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 10:46pm
PS I'd love to have the 4.7L V8!!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
Kickstart View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2011 at 2:59am
I've owned and towed with both an F150 4.6 and a Dakota (although it, like Possible Dream's, had a 3.7 V/6). I moved down from the F150 to the Dakota because I really felt I didn't need a full sized P/U anymore. The 3.7 didn't have enough power or torque for me when towing our RP175. The Pod followed well behind the Dakota, and it would have been a great little tow rig with 20 or so more horsepower and a 5th gear instead of a four speed. I think you would get both the extra horses and gear with the v/8. As long as the Dakota has a proper rear end ratio for towing, I think it would be ideal for pulling your Pod.

If you want a fullsized P/U the F150 would be great, too. Incidently, I traded my Dakota in on an '06 Tacoma Prerunner 4.0, which I'm very satisfied with--another midsize with good towing specs.
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:50pm
Well, my friends, I did it.

Drove home my new (to me) Dakota.  It's a 2004  club cab with the 4.7 V8 Magnum engine.  Factory tow package, all I need (which I've already ordered from e-trailer.com) is the wiring harness thing-a-ma-jig to plug in my P2 brake controller.  Auto transmission which will take some getting used to since I've had a stick shift for as long as I can remember. It's white (not my favorite truck color) but some new graphics will dress it up and 'make it mine'!

Now here is where I have to plug Car Max.....The best vehicle buying experience I've ever had.  They transfered the truck to my local store from 2 hours away - no charge!  It has a 5 day satisfaction guarantee and a 30 day warantee.  I purchased an extended warantee at a great rate.  They gave me an incredibly fair price for my 1998 Ford Ranger with 247,000 miles.   The salesmen get a flat rate for their sales and there was NO pressure.  I can't say enough nice things about these people and the whole experience. 

I don't think the weather will be ideal for a camping trip this weekend, but I can't wait to pull the pod with it.  I'm real anxious to really go places now that I have the extra ponys and some peace of mind of driving a more reliable vehicle.  The clutch was about to go on the Ranger and the engine was starting to some funny things.

I will take pictures of our new set up soon and post photos as well. 
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:31am
Congrats on your new truck!  Now, get busy and take the Ford out of your list in your sig line.Big smile

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 12:38am
Here is a forum you might want to check out: http://www.semopars.com/index.php  I belong to using the name Fulltimer.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 6:54am
Congratulations on the new TV!  I hope it works out well for you. Smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 9:13am
Great, congratulations!! Keep us up to date with how it performs.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:30am
Congrats!  Don't forget to get some good mpg numbers.  Wink

Speaking of graphics, how big can you make them?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>