3 [13.64%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid term report card
    Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

Next up, 2 nights at a county park here in MI in July, then 12 nights or so in the UP of MI at the beginning of Aug.

Have you ever been to the "Porkies"?  I intended to go last year, but didn't make it.  It looks like they have 2 campgrounds - 1 modern and one rustic/primative.  I'm thinking sometime after Labor day.  Any opinions?

Counting future trips......I have 9 nights in October for the Smoky's & Shenandoah and 3 nights for Labor Day (local).  I'm trying to work in 7 nights in Michigan & UP.  Plus a couple of more weekend trips should be no problem.  On the season, that would put me in the 30s - on par with you & Moose. 
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 7:43pm
Last time I was at the Porkies I was 8 years old. That was at least 20 years ago (ha ha). 

This trip we have reservations at Union Bay Campground at Porcupine Mountains State Park. 

I'll let you know how it is, but most MI state parks are generally pretty nice with electricity only. 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

Last time I was at the Porkies I was 8 years old. That was at least 20 years ago (ha ha). 

This trip we have reservations at Union Bay Campground at Porcupine Mountains State Park. 

I'll let you know how it is, but most MI state parks are generally pretty nice with electricity only. 

So it was YOU who reserved the campsite I wanted end of July/first of August at Union Bay! LOL
The campsites on the water sound pretty cool.  I wanted # 7, but I think a lot of others must think it sounds like a nice site also.  Hard to find an open date for those sites.

They don't seem to have much info on the individual sites (web) at the rustic campground + no reservations (Presque or something that starts with a "P").  I'm thinking after Labor day, I won't need electricity (ie. air conditioner), so either could work.  I just don't want to get there and the place be full.

Enjoy your trip and looking forward to the report!
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 11:04pm
We've got site #3 on the water, but we made reservations last winter.

Kids go back to school in MI right after Labor Day, so you might have good luck at that time.

If you end up with a site on Superior lakeside after Labor Day, you most likely will not need the A/C, so no worries there. You might even want to pack your "union suit." 
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:23am
3 long weekends in the spring, a few nights in camp driveway getting to know how everything works. Biggest trip (2000 miles round, 10,000 '+ elevation) coming up in a few weeks. Lots of long weekends planned from Labor Day on.
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12