Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing RP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towing RP
    Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:55pm
I just purchased RP 171, which I will pick up this Sat (5/21/11). I am going to use Nissan Armada as towing vehicle. The dealer said I do not need weight distribution and anti-sway bar due to my towing capacity of 8000 lbs. I live in the windy area and I am concerned about towing without the sway control bar and this is going to be my first time towing trailer on my Nissan. Any recommendation and opinion will be greatly appreciated.
RSK
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:47pm
Well... its doubtful that you'll need weight distribution.  The tongue weight of my own 171 comes in at 220 pounds when the trailer is fully loaded and ready to camp.  Based on your Armada's tow capacity, I suspect that your vehicle supports a tongue weight of 750-800 pounds.  But, check your owner's manual to be sure.

Sway control is another issue altogether.  It is a matter of preference (although some will shout 'safety').  I happily towed without sway control for about a year, with very rare handling issues.  However, after a particularly windy day, I decided it was time.  I installed a friction sway control bar myself - total cost, including having someone weld a bar onto my draw bar, was under $100.  I've got a Husky brand, but frankly they're all about the same.  There is a marked improvement when towing in very windy conditions, and a minor improvement when being passed by tractor-trailers.  Overall, I highly recommend adding a friction sway control to your setup.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:52pm
Welcome and congratulations! Many here tow without a WDH or a swaybar, others do.  I have no WDH, but I do have a swaybar and our TV has a capacity of 3500lbs and the Pod tows wonderfully.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:56pm
First off....Welcome to the group.  I know you'll enjoy your new Pod.  Keep us up to date on what's happening.

You'll find opinions all across the board on your question....some quite vigorous.  I towed my Pod with a smaller truck (GMC Canyon) and did not have problems without WDH or a anti-sway bar.  Others won't leave their driveway without them.  Both devises require some setup and adjustment to work properly.

My approach to the situation when purchasing a new camper has always been: I'll tow it home without the stuff and see how it feels because, I can always add it, if needed.
harleyguy1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:10pm
I totally agree with all of the above coments, although I recently installed a Curt friction sway bar (Approx. $50) and was in a 25- 30 mph cross wind on my way to Baytown, Tx a couple of weeks ago, and the sway bar really helped and I felt more safe with it, as I had pulled the 177 several times before without a sway bar.
Marshal
2011 R-177
Longview, Tx
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 9:23am
Welcome to the forum.  We have towed for almost a year without sway control but did I did install a Curt friction sway control about 6 weeks ago.  Living in S TX there the times when the wind isn't blowing are few and far between.  It does make a difference on those really windy days.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
Hansonz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 11:28am
Welcome! I pull my 175 with a Nissan Xterrs 6 cyl. Tows 5000 lbs. Although I have a WDH, which I used on a heavier trailer prior to the pod, I do not use it to tow the pod. To me, it's just too much of a hassle. I do use an anti-sway bar though. No problems at all.
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 12:01pm
I have never used either and have not had any issues even in winds that were sustained at 30 MPH all day traveling across western Kansas. Our Jeep that we just bought has trailer sway control but have not been on the road long enough to find out how well in works. You should not have a problem with your Armada.   Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:12pm
Congratulations on your new Pod and welcome!
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
 Post Reply Post Reply