R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreasing the Grooves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing the Grooves
    Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:30am
Originally posted by kymooses

But just over the 4th of July weekend I was looking at all the Popups around the campground and many of those had dorm fridges outside instead of coolers.

I think you are seeing so many dorm fridges outside instead of coolers because the price of an electric cooler is outrageous.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:30am
We tried to find a dorm fridge last summer, and discovered that many of the new dorm size fridges use the exact same technology as the thermoelectric coolers, and so can't cool more than about 40 degrees below the ambient temperature. Plus, the fridges don't work as well as the coolers, because unlike a top loaded cooler, every time you open the fridge door all the cold air spills out.

If you're looking for a dorm fridge, see if you can find one with an actual compressor in it, like the one I used to have and sold at a garage sale years ago (duh.) They can be tough to find sometimes, and pricey too, because they're more complicated than the thermoelectric type.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:55am
We don't carry a dorm fridge but in regards to lights. Heck the only reason I got an R-Dome was to have something to hang my lights on. I love my brand new, only used twice, "Pepper" lights. This weekend will be the first time to hang them on the Dome at an actual campground. We just got the Dome last week (a long story) and I've set it up twice. A bunch easier than I expected due to the changes in the channel and everyone's hints on how to do it right. And the lights look soooo good on it. An RV without cool lights is like a dog without a bark. What's the point?

Chuck
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:13pm
Mercy me. I would have been laughed out of the carLOL if I had suggested, EVER, taking a dorm frig. tent camping. Times sure have changed. I have to tell my son this when I see him. He always said I took the kitchen sink with me, but not until we had a motorhome. He was the AT kind of person. Had to keep the windows down, even in Winter, when he and friends came down to be picked up.

I have not noticed the frig. being too bad keeping things ok. I don't challenge it much. I like to buy fresh veggies and fruits where ever I go, don't drink milk, keep butter ok, not soft, eggs fine. Cheese and lunchmeat seem ok too. I LOVE the pretty blue lightEmbarrassed Freezer things keep just fine, ice cream, small cups, keep great, some chopped peppers, etc. stay frozen.

So , I am not one to ask about this.

On lights. Out this past week, people had the ground lights. Looked like the aisle in an airplane.
Just so happens I like the twinkle and flash of little lights.....if I ever get to that place.
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:27pm
Chuck: When I was not able to hang my lights out (and I had several sets of red, white and blue twinkles) I just took one set and hung it INSIDE the pod. Makes me smile. I have some of the lights that are little vintage trailers and use those at times.
Since I will not have a place to put tent stakes in next time out either, so I will not be able to use my awning, I plan to hang them on my screen houseTongue

We had a nice side by side in our last coach and sure kept all we needed. We used a cooler outside for handy drinks if we were too lazy to go inside, which is very possible when I "rough" it. I really like dipping into a cooler with melted ice and really cold drinks. The last of the ice I dump in the toilet when I am pulling out to "jazz" around in the tank.

Now, I Have heard of those than have ac in their TENT. THAT one I would have voted on and approved. I know some sites do have electric for tents, but not in our early camping days 40 years agoConfused

This past trip I spent more time INSIDE with the ac. but having been in the area for so many years, I did not plan to do much more than lift my hand for a cold drink and walk the dog and sleep and read. My kind of vacation. The husband said I could do THAT at home, BUT something about being out is great. At home there is a phone, dinner, routineThumbs Down
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:33pm
The frig. at home is limping along, almost empty. Does not look like my house!
Parts are due to be put in tomorrow or if I am lucky, tonight.
I am just grateful if the problem has been found, if not I could buy a small car for what a replacement would cost. NEVER build in (and I have done it TWICE).  Have found only 2 that would fit the space or I may have to do the trash thing and have a fridge on the back porch! Sorry, anyone, if you have one on the porch, they probably have fancy ones now for that very purposeBig smile I guess in the outside fireplace and kitchen they do.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

Speaking of the fridge -- I know you were talking about your fridge at home -- but I'm not really pleased with the one in the RPod.  I have mine on the highest setting but it doesn't get as cold as any fridge I've had before.  I put in a fridge thermometer and the temp is barely in the acceptable zone.  So I put in a battery operated recirculating fridge fan from Camping World but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Does anyone out there have a suggestion for improving the cooling performance of the fridge?

Diane

Are you running your fridge on 12 volts, 120 volts or propane?  I have found them to perform best on propane.  Removing heat from the area behind the fridge will make a big difference and there is a mod or two to do this.  The warmer the ambient temperature (and the area behid the fridge) the less well they operate.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 5:40pm
David, I've tried the fridge on all 3 options - 12 volts, 120 electric, and propane.  The performance is pretty much the same no matter which option I use.  It's cold enough - but my complaint is that it is BARELY cold enough.  I'm convinced  that you are right about the ambient temperature because it has been very hot weather every time I've camped.  I hadn't thought of the area BEHIND the fridge, though.  But I have tried to keep the temperature inside the RPod cool to help out the fridge.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 6:32pm
What is the mod for improving behind the frig(is this on the outside of Pod?)
I run on electric when I have full hookups, propane when dry camping and battery when traveling.
While I have not problem, if there is/are mod suggestions , I would like to hear them. Thanks
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by mountain mist

Mercy me. I would have been laughed out of the car if I had suggested, EVER, taking a dorm frig. tent camping. Times sure have changed. I have to tell my son this when I see him. He always said I took the kitchen sink with me, but not until we had a motorhome. He was the AT kind of person. Had to keep the windows down, even in Winter, when he and friends came down to be picked up.

Yup we used to pack up my old Thunderbird to the max, bungee cords holding the trunk down on the way.  I was always a very prepared tent camper!  We were almost at the point of buying a small AC unit to take along in the summers, but the Pod changed that for us!  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>